Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CLARA JANE BELL NEE BUXTON

First can I wish all Sheffield inder's a very happy new year and also hoping you all had a very good Christmas.
I am looking for a Carla Jane bell nee Buxton I have searched the Lincolnshire bmd records but no luck. according to other researcher she was born 1849 in Haxey Lincolnshire. Her parents were John Buxton and Susanna Webester. Clara married James Bell 09 - 05 - 1869 in Carlisle I have not found her death record. 1851 census her birth place is given as Haxey lincolnshire. 1861 birth place is given has Westwood Lincolnshire. 1871 - 1901 her birth place is given as Sheffield.
I have checked the Sheffield birth records again with no luck. The 1901 Census shows that she was living at 29 Caldewgate Cresent Carlisle with her three daughters Jane, Mabel and Ethel.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: CLARA JANE BELL NEE BUXTON

Hi, Fred, You are right her birth does not show on gro. Haxy came under the registration district of Thorne. Event Type Birth Registration
Name Jane Buxton
Event Date 1849
Event Place Thorne, Yorkshire, England
Registration District Thorne
Page 668
Volume 23
Affiliate Line Number 20
Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration Year 1849

Hi Fred

Happy New Year!

I think you posted about Clara Janes birth back in 2019 (the thread is still on this forum) and a few of us tried researching but couldnt find anything to help/prove her birth.

From that previous thread/research we know that the family lived in Haxey/Westwood, and they move to Sheffield when Clara Jane is an infant, Clara Janes mother dies (back in Haxey) when Clara Jane is still an infant and John then marries Elizabeth Wheatcroft in Sheffield.

The difference is place of birth was explained as possibly, in the earlier census records when Clara Jane was young it would have been her father/stepmother giving the place of birth 'Haxey/Westwood' - as they would know that.

As Clara Jane grew up in Sheffield and that was all she would have known, its likely that in later census she could have given her own birthplace as Sheffield(?)

We also previously found that Clara Jane Bell went on to marry a Thomas Ryan in 1902 in Carlisle (that thread is also still on this forum). And they were on the electoral register in Carlisle in 1922.

Theres a death for Clara J Ryan in Carlsile in 1923 , aged 75 (birth year 1848).
2nd Quarter, 1923, Carlisle,Cumberland, V 10B, Page 654

Denise

Barry E White
Hi, Fred, You are right her birth does not show on gro. Haxy came under the registration district of Thorne. Event Type Birth Registration
Name Jane Buxton
Event Date 1849
Event Place Thorne, Yorkshire, England
Registration District Thorne
Page 668
Volume 23
Affiliate Line Number 20
Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration Year 1849
Hi Barry

I think the birth you mention (surname down as BUSTON on GRO) has MMN of MASFIELD and Fred is looking for MMN Webster??

I thought that Haxey would have been under the Registration District of Gainsborough,Lincolnshire in 1849 ?

Denise