Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Thomas Grady b 1878

I need some help in finding out more information about my maternal great grandfather John Thomas Grady born in 1878; I'm hoping that someone on here will be able to help me.

I have found him on the 1881 census aged 3 (so presumably born 1878) living with his widowed mum Elizabeth Nicholson (b1847) and his uncle Thomas Nicholson (b 1855) at 9 House Court 3 graden Street (if I've read it correctly).

I can't find the death record of John Thomas Grady but I presume that he died before the 1881 census. I'd like to find out more info about John Thomas Grady (where born and DoB, parentage etc) and also more about his mum Elizabeth Nicholson - I've drawn a blank on both of these ancestors lineages.
Thanks.

Re: John Thomas Grady b 1878

Garden St is the address in 1881

The nephew in that census is John James so is that your Great Grandfather, with John Thomas being his father?

If so, where did you find the name John Thomas? I can't immediately see a birth/baptism for John James, or a marriage between John Thomas and Elizabeth

Hugh

Hi Pete

John Thomas Grady was born 1st Quarter 1878 in Sheffield (MMN Nicholson as you know)

He married Mary Jane Goddard 11 Jan 1903, St Michael and All Angels, Neepsend, Sheffield
Father Thomas Grady (deceased) Saw Maker

John Thomas was a Grinder
(you dont say if you have this information already)

Theres a burial on this site over to the left for

John Thomas Grady, Grinder agd 43, Buried July 9 1921, Burngreave Cemetery, Died at Winter Street Hospital.

Denise

Baptism from this site:

Grady, Joannes Thomas (of Kenon St, born 1878-01-11).
Baptised January 16, 1878, by Christophero Dooley at St Vincents, Sheffield Centre.
Parents name(s) are Ellizabet Nichelson & Joannis ().
Godparents: ~ ~ Winefreda McGillet :Page No 333 :Reg No

I had already been wondering about this marriage:

GRADY, Elizabeth Mariam (~, age ~, ~, residing at Solly St).
Married Johannem Josephum GRADY, on October 30, 1876, by Julius DeBaere (~) at
St Marie Parish Church, Norfolk Row,Sheffield. Father's name is Gulielmi Nicholson (~).
Married in the presence of Thoma Gillott,Winefrid Gillott.

GRADY, Johannem Josephum (~, age ~, ~, residing at Solly St).
Married Elizabeth Mariam GRADY, on October 30, 1876, by Julius DeBaere (~) at
St Marie Parish Church, Norfolk Row,Sheffield. Father's name is Thomae Grady (~).

Some details are different eg John's middle name. But Elizabeth's father is listed as William NICHOLSON and the witness Winefrid GILLOTT could well be the same person as John junior's godparent.

Hugh

In the GRO entry for the above marriage Elizabeth Mary's surname is listed as GILLOTT.

I think this is her previous marriage...

McGillott, Jacobum (~, age ~, ~, residing at ~).
Married Elizabeth Nicholson, on March 4, 1867, by C. Hickey (~) at
St Vincent's, Sheffield. Father's name is Thomae McGillott (~).
Married in the presence of Jacobo Waters, Maria Nicholson.

Nicholson, Elizabeth (~, age ~, ~, residing at ~).
Married Jacobum McGillott, on March 4, 1867, by C. Hickey (~) at
St Vincent's, Sheffield. Father's name is Gulielmi Nicholson (~).
Married in the presence of Jacobo Waters, Maria Nicholson.

Hugh

Thanks Denise for this information, some of which I already have but nevertheless really helpful. I am just thinking about the information submitted in the other responses to try and work out it fits or not.

Peter

Hugh
Garden St is the address in 1881

The nephew in that census is John James so is that your Great Grandfather, with John Thomas being his father?

If so, where did you find the name John Thomas? I can't immediately see a birth/baptism for John James, or a marriage between John Thomas and Elizabeth

Hugh
Thanks Hugh,

The first name difference has me confused too. Everything else seems to match, (MMN and age) that I am working n the basis that it is the same person. Should I be more cautious?

Hugh
Baptism from this site:

Grady, Joannes Thomas (of Kenon St, born 1878-01-11).
Baptised January 16, 1878, by Christophero Dooley at St Vincents, Sheffield Centre.
Parents name(s) are Ellizabet Nichelson & Joannis ().
Godparents: ~ ~ Winefreda McGillet :Page No 333 :Reg No

I had already been wondering about this marriage:

GRADY, Elizabeth Mariam (~, age ~, ~, residing at Solly St).
Married Johannem Josephum GRADY, on October 30, 1876, by Julius DeBaere (~) at
St Marie Parish Church, Norfolk Row,Sheffield. Father's name is Gulielmi Nicholson (~).

GRADY, Johannem Josephum (~, age ~, ~, residing at Solly St).
Married Elizabeth Mariam GRADY, on October 30, 1876, by Julius DeBaere (~) at
St Marie Parish Church, Norfolk Row,Sheffield. Father's name is Thomae Grady (~).

Some details are different eg John's middle name. But Elizabeth's father is listed as William NICHOLSON and the witness Winefrid GILLOTT could well be the same person as John junior's godparent.

Hugh
Thanks Hugh,

These appear to be latin versions of the names that I am looking for - presumably these baptisms were in a RC church. Excuse my ignorance but is there an obvious way of converting the names back to the anglican spelling? They do seem to partly match though.

Thanks

Peter

St Marie's is the main Catholic church in Sheffield. Completed in 1850 it became a Cathedral on the creation of the Diocese of Hallam in 1980. St Vincent's was built later in the 1850s to serve the large Irish Catholic population. The building still exists but the congregation moved to a new church in Crookes in 1998.

Various lists of Latin given names and their English equivalents can be found on the internet. It is sometimes difficult to decide between equivalent names without other evidence. For example, Mariam could be Mary or Maria. Jacobus could be James or Jacob. Also, the clerks who wrote these names in the registers were not always consistent in their spelling or how they used Latin grammar.

In the above entries we have...
Johannes/Johannis/Johannem = John
Winefreda = Winifred
Josephum = Joseph
Gulielmi = William (cf the French Guillaume)
Mariam = (probably) Mary

Hugh

Elizabeth Nicholson b 1849 in Sheffield mmn BARNETT.
Thomas Nicholson b 1854 in Sheffield mmn BARNARD best i can find.The rest in the 1851 census are difficult.If they are indeed yours.

Regards

Terry

Thanks to Terry an Hugh for your helpful responses.
Peter