Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Edward Smith born 1861

Hi,

I am struggling to find any further details about my 3rd Great Grandad Richard Smith.

The details that I have for my 2nd Gt Grandad Edward Smith are:
Born March 1861 in Lincolnshire but whereabouts exactly?
From his marriage records his father was called Richard but I have no date or location of birth, marriage or death for Richard Smith or even his mum's name.

Edward Smith appears in 1901 and 1911 censuses but I can't find anything earlier. He died 13th March 1920. I also ahve his marriage details to Mary Elizabeth Woffinden on 11th March 1896.

What i would like to know is more details about his birthplace and date, his parents and whether he had any siblings.

Thanks in anticipation.

Re: Edward Smith born 1861

If you could give us just a little nudge in the right direction please.

You say you have the 1901 census information?

Could you tell us what it says please. I have found three that would fit but with a name like Smith one needs all the correct info to start with.

That census should have where he was born and his occupation and where he was living at the time.

The names of his children might be a clue.

FreeBMD & the GRO, Family Search and FreeReg will also help once you have found where he was born.

FMP is where the answer is but once we have more info.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi,
Apologies for not being clearer with the info that I have and thanks for your quick reply.
In 1901, Edward Smith and his family are living at 40 Parkwood Road.

The members of the household are;
Edward Smith, 39, General Labourer born in Lincolnshire ?
Mary E Smith, 39 wife
Edwin Smith, 3, son
Joseph Smith, 2, son.

In 1911 he family are at the same address but both Edwards are now listed as Edwin ?
Edwin Smith, 50, Ga Labourer born in Lincolnshire
Mary E smith, 50 Wife
Edwin Smith, 13 Errand Boy.
Presumably Joseph has died.

Does this help?

Peter

I am sure it will.

We have some super sleuths on the FORUM and I can hear their fingers tapping away to come up with a lead.LOL.

Take care.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Peter,
If I have the correct SMITH:
Richard (Clay/May) Smith B:1821/26 Sleefold (Sleaford) Lincs. Baptized 5th Nov/1827, New Sleaford, mother REBECCA SMITH

Possible wife: Mary Ann(Marianne) Fearey B:c1827, Heckington, Lincs

1851 Leasington, Lincs
-Richard Smith 27 married Pipe Maker
Mary A. 23 wife
Richard 1 son
The son Richard was baptized 21st Oct/1849 Leasingham, Lincs.
1861 Whittelsey, Cambridgeshire
Richard 37 Pipe Maker born Sleaford Lincs
Mary Ann 33 Wife Heckington, Lincs
Richard 11 son scholar
Mary 9 dau
Charlotte Maria 4
EDWARD 0
Charles Challens 15 Nephew born Swineshead Norfolk
+ a boarder
in 1871 Richard is a widow, s chimney sweep, living in Warwick, with son, Richard also a Sweep,Charlotte, EDWARD and Rebecca B.1864
All the above can be found on Family Search (free) plus a Tree is also on there.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Adding to Wendy's excellent find, theGRO index, free online, shows that there were 12 live births for Smith with mmn FEAREY between 1839 and 1864. Of the first 8, 7 were registered in Boston Lincs and one in Sleaford Lincs. Of the last 4, 3 were born in Whittlesey (including Edward born Q3 1860) and one between back in Boston.
Whittlesey is less than 10 miles from the Lincolnshire border.
DAVE

Wendy in Guelph
Hi Peter,
Richard (Clay/May) Smith B:1821/26 Sleefold (Sleaford) Lincs. Baptized 5th Nov/1827, New Sleaford, mother REBECCA SMITH

1851 Leasington, Lincs
Mary A. 23 wife
Richard 1 son
Richard 11 son scholar
Mary 9 dau
Charlotte Maria 4
EDWARD 0
+ a boarder
in 1871 Richard is a widow, s chimney sweep, living in Warwick, with son, Richard also a Sweep,Charlotte, EDWARD and Rebecca B.1864
All the above can be found on Family Search (free) plus a Tree is also on there.
There are some really helpful people on here - thank you.

I started following the hints of Edward Smith born to Richard Smith and Mary Fearey but I started find his death reported in Warwick which doesn't match with the info that I have for my Edward Smith's Death of 1920 in Sheffield.

Whilst searching I decided to search using Edwin rather than Edward (he appears in the 1911 census as edwin as I submitted in an earlier post) and also attempted to decipher the birth place name in Lincolnshire; I originally read it as Ossernby which doesn't exist. By chance I came across an Edwin Smith i an 1861 census for Osbournby. Born to a Joseph and Charlotte Smith. I'm wondering if this might be the right one.

In 1891 the only Edward Smith who is a wheelwright is born 1866 Uffington Lincolnshire, but father is James also a wheelwright.I don't find a birth 2 years either side of 1861 or 1866 on the GRO

Terry

Peter S
Wendy in Guelph
Hi Peter,

1851 Leasington, Lincs
Mary A. 23 wife
Richard 1 son
Richard 11 son scholar
Mary 9 dau
Charlotte Maria 4
EDWARD 0
+ a boarder
There are some really helpful people on here - thank you.

I started following the hints of Edward Smith born to Richard Smith and Mary Fearey but I started find his death reported in Warwick which doesn't match with the info that I have for my Edward Smith's Death of 1920 in Sheffield.

Whilst searching I decided to search using Edwin rather than Edward (he appears in the 1911 census as edwin as I submitted in an earlier post) and also attempted to decipher the birth place name in Lincolnshire; I originally read it as Ossernby which doesn't exist. By chance I came across an Edwin Smith i an 1861 census for Osbournby. Born to a Joseph and Charlotte Smith. I'm wondering if this might be the right one.
I have a scan of the marriage certificate for Edward Smith and Mary Elizabeth Woffinden for 1896. Edward is a wheel wright and his father Richard is a farmer. Is there a reason why I can't find it on the search facilities here or is just that not all records have been transcribed yet. I can't see where I can upload a copy of it to here.

Thanks to everybody for all the help given so far.

We have'nt transcribed that churches records yet.

Terry

Thanks for clarifying and again thanks to all who have helped with this search.

Peter

Hi Peter

If you want to get your certificate details uploaded to our site you'll need to look over at the menu to the left and BMD Certificates. That will tell you what you need to do.

Denise

Hi Peter et al,
Another scenario for the elusive SMITH.
As you suggested Joseph Smith (1823/24) and his wife Charlotte Morley were the probable parents of Edward/Edwin (1861).
Some records show that Joseph Smith (1823/4) was the son of Richard Brown and Mercy Smith who were married in 1823 at Heckington, Lincs. and Joseph has two sets of baptism records one as Brown the other as Smith which took place at Heckington, Lincs.

Returning to Edward Smith (1861) who married Mary Elizabeth Woffinden in 1896 Sheffield, the two children, Edwin (1897) and Joseph (1899).
Edwin and son, Edwin, plus Mary Elizabeth are to be found in the same grave on this website in the burials with a death of 1920 for Edwin (senior) which tallies with your info.
Also in that grave is a 5 month old child ROY HAWKES who D.1948. Roy is probably the son of Mary Smith and Herbert N. Hawkes who married Dec qtr. 1939 Sheffield. MARY SMITH is the daughter of JOSEPH SMITH (B1899)(Edwin's brother). I suggest Joesph did not die as an infant but may be found on 1911 census, aged 12, a visitor at the farm of Thomas Smith in Ecclesfield.
JOSEPH, I believe, married Frances Searle in 1917 at Sheffield and can be found on the 1939 Register along with daughter. Mary Smith (later Hawkes) plus 3 closed records, and a married couple named Mitchell.
Most of the above can be referenced on this website, Family Search, BMD and Ancestry.
NOTE: The death of infant Roy Hawkes shows he is the son of A. Hawkes, I am gambling on this being an error and that it should have read H for Herbert, easy to mistake if the record is not that legible.
ASIDE NOTE: The only death reg for an Edward Smith in Sheffield, 1920 was age 72 (1848)

Thanks Wendy,

This is really helpful; some of the info about Joseph Smith I already had and I agree that the entry for Roy Hawkes father should read Herbert Hawkes.

Edwin Smith junior (1897 to 1922) and who is in teh same grave was apparently tragically killed at the Neepsend gasworks according to a couple of newspaper cuttings that I have images of. Thre steel joists that were being hoisted by a steam crane fell on to Edward and a colleague when the rope snapped.

What confuses matters is that father and son appeared in a couple of records both as either Edward or Edwin hence why there appears to be no record for the death of Edward Smith apart from the one you found.

You have found some interesting information about Joseph Smith - I wonder why there are two sets of baptism records with different surnames?

Hi Peter,
The logical explanation for the two different baptism surnames would be that although Joseph Smith was baptized in 1824 and Richard Brown and Mercy Smith married in 1823, he could still have been born out of wedlock.

Also, the Brown info was taken from Family Search website which first and foremost show the baptism record as Joseph Smith. The Brown surname baptism record, comes from Family Trees on same website but there are certain discrepancies in these Trees. The Trees also state that Mercy Smith was married four times. On Family Search there is also a death of a Richard Brown at Heckington, Lincs in 1826 Jul/Aug so just three years into his marriage to Mercy Smith.