Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bell

Hi

John Bell, a table blade forger born 23 July 1829, married Mary Ann Blackwell on 11 October 1851.
I found 3 children for them:
Eliza Ann, born 1852, possibly married John Thompson, and later William Henry Goodwin.
John William, born 1856, an apprentice cutler at Taylor’s Yard in 1871.
Elizabeth, born 1858.

John died 13 May 1866 at 29 Chester St and was buried at the General cemetery in what seems to be a common grave.
I’m uncertain about what happened to Mary Ann and Elizabeth after John’s death, and what happened to John William after 1871.
Any ideas very welcome!

Heths

Re: Bell

Heths, according to GRO Index John and Mary Ann had 2 more children (MMN Blackwell). They were Alexander b 1854, died 1857 and Mary Ann Born and died 1860.
Dave

The John Bell whp died in 1866 and buried in the General Cemetery on my cd says lived at THOMAS STREET

Hi both,

Thank you for this!

@ Dave - a son called Alexander would make sense because John’s father was called Alexander.
I found a burial for the child at Bramall Lane, but couldn’t find a burial in 1860 for the sister Mary Ann.
There was a possible one at Bramall Lane 4/12/1861 though, for a girl aged one.

@ John - you are right, I read my notes wrongly. John did die at Thomas St.
The Chester St address was where he was living in 1861.

What happened to the wife Mary Ann, and the children Elizabeth and John William is still a mystery...

Heths

Could Mary Ann have also died? On the 1871 census there is an 11 year old Elizabeth Bell in the Ecclesall Bierlow Union Workhouse classed a pauper

Hi John,

I wondered about that but couldn’t spot a burial for her.
Maybe she remarried, and then died soon afterwards?

Heths

Was Mary Ann Bakewell born in the same year as John Bell?

Hi Heather et al,
Have you checked out the 1881 census for a possible MARY ANN:
ANN BELL age 49 WIDOW-CHARWOMAN (age fits)
WILLIAM BELL age 19...?? Pen Knife Cutler (would be 25yr)
ARTHUR MARROTT..?? age 33 Boarder

No Elizabeth
Residence 31 Martin Street, Nether Hallam

I agree with John S. ELIZABETH BELL in 1871 was probably in THE EDGE Workhouse age 11 a scholar/pauper.

There is a Tree on Ancestry that shows MARY ANN BELL dying on 1902..?? not very much info on this Tree.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Heths,
this from GRO Index seems a very strong candidate for the death of Mary Ann Bell. Age and place are spot on.

BELL, MARY ANN Age 33
GRO Reference: 1865 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 237

Strangely I can find no GRO Index reference to the death of John Bell in 1866, for whom you have a burial.
Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for finding the death for Mary Ann.
It’s odd that John is missing from the GRO death index. I couldn’t find him either.
The transcribed date for the General cemetery burial will be correct though.
It tallies with the death announcement in the Sheffield Independent, which also mentions Thomas St.

Heths

Hi Heather,
Re: Mary Ann who was born and died in 1860 there is a possible reference to her, I believe it was on Ancestry:

MARY ANN BELL Died 22nd May, 1860 Res: Mowbray Street, Buried at WARDSEND CEMETERY, possibly worth checking out.

Heths (and Wendy),
There is no doubt that the burial in Wardsend (died 22nd May) was the death registered Q2 1860. The date of death matches closely to others registered on the same PAGE 240.
Just to qualify my earlier statement about Mary Ann Bell born and died Q2 1860. I have no evidence that the one who died then was actually the one who was born (mmn Blackwell) in the same quarter.
Dave

re the Wardsend burial:

22 May is the date of burial, not the date of birth
Mary Ann was 1 month of age, daughter of John
This is the only burial in grave A444, which I believe is a public grave

Hugh

Thank you everyone for your help. May I trouble you further - could somebody please check the marriage 1881 at St Matthias between John Henry Sansom and Elizabeth Bell? Is this the right Elizabeth?? (My subscription to FMP has expired and I don’t want to renew it until they put up more Yorkshire or Derbyshire records. )
Thanks again
Heths

Heather,

25 July 1881

John Henry Sansom, 24, Bachelor, table blade grinder, 40 Franklin St, son of James Sansom, a table blade grinder

to

Elizabeth Bell, 18, Spinster, Shop Assistant, 30 Franklin St, daughter of Joseph Bell a Fender Filler.

Witnesses were Clifford Roberts and Ida Roberts.

Elizabeth and Ida signed with their marks. John Henry signed John Henery.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Thanks Andrew. Not the right Elizabeth then! Back to the drawing board...

Heths

Thank you Andrew for this info, although the wrong one for Heather, this Elizabeth Bell is part of my Family Tree.
The witnesses, Clifford Roberts and Ida Roberts (should be Ada Roberts nee Bell) are my great grandparents on my mother's side.
Elizabeth is Ada Bell's younger sister.

Heths, have you considered that as an orphan she may have been shipped to Canada, a procedure which started in 1869.
Another alternative is a death for Elizabeth Bell AGE 63 IN Q1 1921 Ecclesall Bierlow. Have not found a burial for her.
Dave

There is an Elizabeth Bell died Feb 1921 aged 61 buried General Cemetery says was a widow