Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Skelton [childrens burials]

Hi all,

I have found on this site two burials of possible relatives. There isn't much info that is connecting them to 'my' relative. I have their names and MMN from the birth entries, but I can't seem to tie down/connect the parents to these children. [They died in between census, which muddies events even more]

http://sheffieldindexers.com/BurialRecordsSearch.php?place_death=1%20Clays%20Yard%20Brightside&forename=&surname=¤t_page=1%22

I have no idea where Clays yard is/was, though I did find a Clay Street/Road.

is there another way of finding the parents names [other than buying the certs?]

many thanks for any assistance/help.

Julie

Re: Skelton [childrens burials]

Julie
From GRO Index
SKELTON, EDWARD BROWN
GRO Reference: 1896 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 582
SKELTON, MABEL BROWN

It looks like the Edward who died at Clays Yard was a twin with Mabel who presumably survived.
Dave

Julie, In our SCHOOL RECORDS over to the left put SKELTON in Surname and *Clays* in address. That identifies 3 other children at that address in the 1890s , all with father Richard (Labourer)
Dave

Hi Julie

Clays Yard was off the beginning of Meadowhall Road. Close to the Bridge Inn.

Denise

Dave T
Julie
From GRO Index
SKELTON, EDWARD BROWN
SKELTON, MABEL BROWN

It looks like the Edward who died at Clays Yard was a twin with Mabel who presumably survived.
Dave
Hi Dave,

Yes, I made the connection that Edward was possibly a twin to Mabel, This is a newly discovered branch for me, as their mother Kate is my great grand aunt.
This is all very tantalising.. I visited Tinsley Park Cemetery a week ago and found Kates Grave.
From what I have found Mabel did indeed survive and married twice and had a family.

thank you so much for the confirmation with the info I found.

Julie

Dave,

Thank you for this, it does confirm that Richard was indeed the father of these children, the mother was Kate.. there is another child that is missing from this family group, Richard and Kate had 13 children, but by the time of the 1911 census, there were only 10 children still living.
I have cross reffed the indexes and think that the missing child was a girl.. and possibly born in Nottingham, which is where sons Richard and Robert were born. William James was born in Whittington, Derbys.

thank you

Julie

Denise,

Thank you for this, i'll need now to have a look to see if I can find it on a map.

brilliant!

Julie

Julie
While looking at your problem I noticed the following 2 school records.
Birks, Paul (Student, dob 22 Apr 1887).
Parent or guardian name(s): Richard (Labourer), of 644 Brightside Lane.
Admitted to Brightside Infants School, Brightside, as of 12 Jul 1892,
until 21 Nov 1892 26 Jan 1892, reason for leaving: Under Age Left Sheffield. Previously attended Queens Walk Bd Notts.

Skelton, Richard (Student, dob 10 Mar 1887).
Admitted to Brightside Infants School, Brightside, as of 11 Jul 1892,
until 30 Nov 1892, reason for leaving: Newhall J. Previously attended Queens Walk Bd Notts.

You seem to have a mystery to solve!!
Dave

Dave, am I reading the info correct if the date in Jul is the date of admission the what does the date in January suggest?

Dave T
Julie
until 21 Nov 1892 26 Jan 1892, reason for leaving: Under Age Left Sheffield. Previously attended Queens Walk Bd Notts.

until 30 Nov 1892, reason for leaving: Newhall J. Previously attended Queens Walk Bd Notts.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for this, I had come across a Paul in a census, but I'm sure he's listed as a Skelton, the plot certainly thickens! but I can't for life of me find it now!

I have come across another death for the possible missing child BUT, I can't find any MMN for her birth as she doesn't appear in GRO index at all...
can anyone suggest/find a burial for her please?

Elizabeth Skelton
Born abt 1909
Died 1909 Dec Q aged 0
Sheffield
9c 256

thank you for taking the time out to look

Julie

Julie
Dave T
Julie

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for this, I had come across a Paul in a census, but I'm sure he's listed as a Skelton, the plot certainly thickens! but I can't for life of me find it now!

I have come across another death for the possible missing child BUT, I can't find any MMN for her birth as she doesn't appear in GRO index at all...
can anyone suggest/find a burial for her please?

Elizabeth Skelton
Born abt 1909
Died 1909 Dec Q aged 0
Sheffield
9c 256

thank you for taking the time out to look

Julie
yep he is listed as a Skelton in the 1891 census.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/13504506:6598?tid=&pid=&queryId=92dfb69ff564232b6149df9de9ec0c0a&_phsrc=UJA45677&_phstart=successSource

His mother was Harriett Skelton, a sister to Richard. She later married a Goulding and Paul is listed as a Goulding on 1901 census. From what I can see a Paul B [Binks]?? Skelton dies in 1936 in Doncaster area.

Julie

Julie, thanks
Just to clarify, the second date of January 26 1892 on the Birks school record is a transcription error, it should be 1893, which now makes sense as the date that Paul left the area.
I would assume that Paul Skeltons real father was a man called Birks, a common name in Chesterfield where Paul was born illegitimate.
Dave

Dave T
Julie, thanks
Just to clarify, the second date of January 26 1892 on the Birks school record is a transcription error, it should be 1893, which now makes sense as the date that Paul left the area.
I would assume that Paul Skeltons real father was a man called Birks, a common name in Chesterfield where Paul was born illegitimate.
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, yes, it would seem that Harriett could have followed her brother up to Sheffield, or some other scenario. Guess we'll never know really.
I appreciate you taking the time out to help.

:)

Julie

Julie, Harriets marriage, in Sheffield, is in our marriages under Parish Records over to the left. It was December 26 1892, her address was Attercliffe Road and witnesses were her brother Richard and married sister Sophia
Dave

Dave T
Julie, Harriets marriage, in Sheffield, is in our marriages under Parish Records over to the left. It was December 26 1892, her address was Attercliffe Road and witnesses were her brother Richard and married sister Sophia
Dave
Dave,

You are a star! thank you so much.

Julie