Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jessop's Hospital neonatal deaths

Hello,
Thanks to your brilliant site, I've managed to find a date of birth, name and record of baptism for my mum's sister who was born at Jessop's hospital in 1949 but sadly died before she was 24 hours old. What we would like to know is whether there is any site where she might have been buried or had her ashes scattered along with other newborns or stillbirths from the hospital? We know her name is almost certainly not recorded but just wondered whether such a site existed. It was something that my grandparents never really talked about.

Re: Jessop's Hospital neonatal deaths

Liz, if you go to burials over to the left and search for CHILD in forename and JESSOP* in Address you will get over 600 answers. If you browse those you will see that since the mid 1960s there are many mass graves for babies at City Road and in the 1920s there were similar graves at Burngreave.
Dave

Liz, at City Road there was a mass grave for babies buried in 1948-1949. It is in Sectin V3 and is grave number 6620. There are 108 burials in the grave, including some from Jessops/women's Hospital/children's hospital/Hallamshire Maternity Hospital.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you so much for all your information. You've been so helpful and I really appreciate it. It will mean a lot to my mum too.