Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sheffield Inclosures - Crookes/Lydgate area

I am trying to track down the relevant Inclosure award (and map/plan if possible) for the Crookes/Lydgate areas. My interest is in working out where all the ‘awarded’ public highways should be – bridleways, footpaths and public carriage ways. I will probably need to know which allotments were awarded to whom, as this will help in pin pointing the public highways if the plan/map doesn’t show them. I've tried Sheffield Archives online catalogue, but can't work out which records contain the full awards, rather than just extracts from them. Thanks - hope that someone can help.

Re: Sheffield Inclosures - Crookes/Lydgate area

There's a map here: https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc03883&prevUrl=

The actual act of parliament is avaliable at the Sheffield Archives under reference ACM/S/528/2 (Duke of Norfolk's Estate Arundel manuscripts)

The allotments (also claims and maps) are available at the Archives under reference WC (Wheat Collection)

The Archive staff I'm sure can help further. Tel 0114 203 9395 open Tuesday, Saturday, Monday

Re: Sheffield Inclosures - Crookes/Lydgate area

Hi Ted - thank you for your response, advice and references. I'll contact the Archives to book in do that I can view the documents. Hopefully, they will have the full award.