Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Missing Birth

Hi all,

Ellen Woodcock was born December quarter of 1855 in Sheffield parents James Woodcock and Mary nee Hobson.

If you look on the 1861 census you can find the family and on there there is a 12 year old called Frances a daughter.

I have not been abler to find a birth for this daughter either using Frances or Fanny. which as the others are on the GRO site seems a mystery to me so I am wondering if she was not registered.

But could this be her though that there is a Frances Woodcock borm with a mother's maiden name of Cockayne and when James Woodcock married Mary Hobson in 1848 a witness was a Peter Cockayne

Could therefore this Frances Woodcock born with a mother's maiden name of Cpckayne be the one I am looking for?

John

Re: Missing Birth

Hi John, There is an Elizabeth Woodcock mothers maiden name Hobson born 1847 Sheffield. Could this be her and they called her Frances, Could be as Mary Hobson was a spinster when she married.

Hi John,

It looks as though they did not register the birth of Frances.

On the 1851 census at Jericho Street, Sheffield, there is James and Mary Woodcock
with children Fanny aged 3 and son Tom aged 1. James is a 'warehouse man'.

By 1871, the family are at Trafalgar Street, Sheffield.

There is a marriage at St James church in 1873 between Frances Woodcock and
Edwin Middleton. Frances names her father as James Woodcock, Edge Tool Manufacturer.

Moira.

Moira, thank you for that and the marriage info too. Have to be careful as I am sure there is another woodcock hobson marriage somewhere near when James and Mary got married.

John

PS where did you get the marriage info from as I could not find it on FMP

John

The marriage is on FindMyPast.

Angela

Just made an optiaians appointment