Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Civilian War Dead Burial Details

Hi

Could somebody explain to me what a series of numbers and letters against the burial details of some of the civilian war dead mean please? An example, Beatrice Hannah Norman, identified by effects and S.I No KIUS.102.2.

Thanks
Carol

Re: Civilian War Dead Burial Details

Hi Carol,

This is just a guess on my part.

identified by effects and S.I No KIUS.102.2.

Social Insurance number KIUS (US? USA) and followed by a ref number.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

The 1940s National Identity Card in UK was issued to every individual. The unique number for each individual took the form of 4 capital letters followed by a 3 figure number followed by full stop or colon followed by a single figure.
Your number fits that format perfectly. No meaning can be implied from the letters.
Dave

Hi

Thanks both.

Carol

Carol, apologies, there is a logic to the numbering system. The numbers were generated by the enumerators gathering the data for the 1939 Register. The first 3 letters identify the registration district, the 4th letter identifies the enumeration district. The 3 figure number identified the household schedule number and the final number is the person number in the hierarchy of the household. Your number KIUS, the KI identifies SHEFFIELD, the 3rd letter Starts at A then winds clockwise around Sheffield, so U is a particular region of Sheffield on that spiral, Then , S is the enumeration district. 102 is the household number and finally 2 is her position in the household. Presumably her husband was 1. The enumerators generated these unique numbers on the spot and issued the cards as they were gathering the registration info.
Dave

Thank you