Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barge Street

Hi All

I have a transcribed burial from this site for a William BRADSHAW:

BRADSHAW, William (Joiner tool maker, age 57).
Died at Barge Street; Buried on February 1, 1874 in General ground;
Grave Number 13, Section D2 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Reopened 19152.
Plot Owner: of . Page No

Does anyone know where Barge Street was located?

I do not think the name Barge Street is a miss-transcription as there is a death notification in the Sheffield Independent for 1874 which states:

"BRADSHAW.-Jan. 27, William Bradshaw, joiner's tool maker, Barge Street, aged 57.

Thanks for your assistance

Leipzig

Re: Barge Street

Hi Leipzig,

I wonder if it should be Bard St, Christine our Burngreave contact I am sure will check it out.

When you click on same grave there are others from Bard St which ran from Broad St to Bernard St Sheffield Park.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

You are probably correct. Transcribing is not easy sometimes, and hard judgements have to be made, so it easy to see why transcription errors exist. What concerned me was the newspaper notice, in a Sheffield newspaper from the time of the death, which actually stated Barge Street also. You would expect this information to be more accurate. Also I have searched the available trade directories surrounding the period of the death and cannot find a mention of a Barge Street. That being said these earlier directories unlike the later ones don't seem to list small or minor streets or lanes, which would not appear in the street listings. The family at one point did live on High Street (Park district) in previous years, and I know from memory that under a Street renaming, High Street was renamed to Bard Street; so I will go with your advice. Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Leipzig

HI Leipzig,

Just found the Booklet from S&DFHS called "Changes in Sheffield Street Names" dated 1871.

No Barge St mentioned.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype