Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George Shaw of Bradfield b 1691

I am researching the Shaws of Bradfield. In the Bradfield Baptism records George son of Robert Shaw baptised 20 September 1691 (hanged Ap 5 1723). Unable to find any information regarding this hanging. Nothing at York or in the assizes, and who would go back through the records to write this against his baptism
Any help would be appreciated
Chrissie.

Re: George Shaw of Bradfield b 1691

Hi Chrissie,

I am sure that DaveT will add to my observations.

Over the years and having transcribed many baptisms in our database along with others. I am sure that either the clerk or the Vicar would have added the information re the hanging.

Have you looked at the Bradfield Archives material? DaveT really knows his way around that material. You could also contact Malcolm Nunn at Bradfield Archives and see if he can help.

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

The detailed documents of Bradfield Archives cover the late 18th to mid to late 19th centuries.
Dave

Many thanks for this information Elaine and Dave T, regards Chrissie.

Hi

Did George have a brother called Jonathan? If so, George was hanged at Derby for horse theft.

Carol

Hi Carol, Yes, brother Jonathan b1694 father Robert and Ann Worrall m 1689.That is brilliant many thanks. Can I ask where you found that information.
Chrissie.

Hi Chrissie

I found the information on FMP in a newspaper article in the Derby Mercury dated 5 August 1727. It’s a bit difficult to understand and some of it not written in English as we know it.

The article is about Jonathan who, himself, has now been sentenced to death for theft. I’ll try and give you the main gist of it with some quotes. It says Jonathan was born in Bradfield, 4 miles from Sheffield in Yorkshire and that he had been brought up handsomely by a good father and mother. But he and his brother George (who was executed here) had previously been involved in horse theft. They were apprehended, tried at Derby and the pair of them were sentenced for transportation. They escaped in Liverpool and proceeded to steal horses again. They were, again, apprehended and tried at Derby. This time George was sentenced to death and Jonathan for transportation again (quite why George got the short straw it doesn’t say). Anyway, Jonathan escaped again and managed to live an honest life for a while until recaptured.

Doesn’t make it clear why he got the death sentence.

Carol

Many thanks Carol that is so helpful.
Regards Chrissie.