Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Albert Reed

I have been trying to locate information regarding Albert Reed born 1876, master etcher, married Ethel Osborn in 1905, lived at 177 Stannington Road, died 1943. I need some suggestions as to how I might proceed to learn more about Albert's ancestry.

Re: Albert Reed

Hi Alexander,
You should first check out the two births for an ALBERT REED on the GRO (General Registry Office) website (free with log in) one born in 1876 in Ecclesall Bierlow mothers maiden name (mmn) HODGSON,
the other born in 1874 Sheffield mmn LONGDEN

Then check out the two marriages on this excellent website (over to your left)
#1 ALBERT REED married SARAH ANN HODGSON in 1875 (details to your left under Parish Records, includes their fathers also)
A possible match for their son ALBERT'S birth in 1876.

#2 ALEXANDER REED married SARAH LONGDEN in 1858 (details to your left)
Another possible match since Alexander was an engraver and SARAH would still be young enough at age 36 to give birth in 1874.

The deaths of Albert, Ethel and son Stewart are also on this website (to your left under Burials) As are the births of three children (to your left under Parish Records.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

The marriage details of A;bert and Ethel are on FMP

December 24th 1905 art St Anne's Netherthorpe Sheffield

Albert Reed aged 31 an etcher of 22 Martin Street father Alexander an engraver

married

Ethel Osborn aged 23 of 70 Morpeth Street father Thomas Osborn (deceased) Watchman

Hope this helps

Hi Alexander,

On the 1939 register at 177 Stannington Rd. Albert Reed, etcher (retired), widower,
gives his date of birth as 4 February 1874.

According to census entries, his father Alexander, was born in Westminster (London)
Middlesex.

Moira.

Perhaps someone could check the original burial register because on this site to find Albert's burial you need to input READ for the surname. is this how it is in the register or is it mis transcribed on here

REED, ALBERT Mothers Maiden Name: HODGSON
GRO Reference: 1876 S Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 379

There is another birth registration on the GRO site, Albert Reed March Q 1874 Sheffield.
This would tally with the birth date given by Albert on the 1939 register.
I am having trouble getting on to the GRO site, could someone check to see if the
mothers maiden name is 'Longden' on the above birth reg, please.

Marriage 25 February 1858, St Jude, Moorfields, Sheffield.
Alexander Reed, 23, Bat, Engraver, Allen St. father, Alexander Reed, Shoe maker.
Sarah Longden, 20, Sp. Service, Allen St. father, William Longden, Grinder.
Witnesses: Joseph and Sarah Ann Kent.

1861 census, 50 Queen Street, Sheffield.
Alexander Reed, 28, Ornamental Engraver, born London, Essex.
Sarah Reed, wife, 23, born Sheffield.
Alexander S. Reed,son, 1, born Sheffield.

Moira.

Moira, yes it is mmn longden
Dave

Thanks for that Dave.

1851 census, Thackray Yard, Duke Lane, Sheffield.
Margaret Morrison, widow, 65,Semstress, born Ireland.
Rachel Morrison, dau, mar?, 44, Shoebinder, born Ireland.
William Morrison, son, 40, Last finisher, born Scotland.
David Morrison, son, 30, born Chatham, Kent.
Alexander Reed, grandson, 17, born London, Middlesex.
David Reed, grandson, 8, born Sheffield.

Baptism, Kingston-upon-Hull, Mill Street Chapel, (Prim. Methodist).
Alexander Reed, Illigitimate, born 4 April 1833, bap 30 June 1837.
Born St Margarets, Westminster, 4 Apr 1833.
Father, Alexander Reed, mother, Rachel Morrison.

Moira.

Event Type Census
Event Place Note Martin Street
Name Albert Reed
Sex Male
Age 25
Event Date 31 Mar 1901
Event Place Nether Hallam, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original) Nether Hallam, Yorkshire (West Riding), England
Sub-District Hallam
Registration District Ecclesall Bierlow
Birth Year (Estimated) 1876
Birthplace Sheffield, Yorkshire
Marital Status Single
Occupation ETCHER ON CUTLERY & IVORY
Relationship to Head of Household Son

Name: Alexander Reed
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1833
Relationship to Head: Head
Where born: London, Middlesex, England
Civil Parish: Nether Hallam
County/Island: Yorkshire
Street Address: 33 Adelphi St
Marital status: Widower
Education:
Employment status:
Subscribe now to see this information.
Registration District: Ecclesall Bierlow

1911 census, 121 Chesterfield Road, Sheffield.
Albert Reed, visitor, married, 37 (1874), Master Etcher.
Staying with William and Sarah Ann Stanley.

Moira.

Sarah Ann Stanley was nee Osborn, so probably Albert's wife's sister.
All the Reed Children on Adelphi Street in 1881 check out on GROIndex with mmn Longden (though Alexander S was birth reg as Walter Alexander, mmn Longden).

Dave

The information I received as a result of my post was most helpful. I now have the facts that clearly indicate Albert Reed (my grandfather) is the son of Alexander Reed and Sarah Longden; I have been able to proceed with my research on that basis. Thank you to all who responded.

Alexanders mother Rachel Reed is living with her brother David Morrison in the 1871 census, on Ancestry she is transcribed as Rachel Aeeds,
Rachel's son David I believe is my Great Grandfather

Thanks Sheila. I am currently trying to unravel the story of David Reed, 2nd son of Rachel Morrison and Alexander Reed. Many of my "leads" indicate a David Reed was a frequent guest of H.M.P. Wakefield. The occupation and age(s) provided are appropriate. Does anyone have any further information regarding David Reed?

Yes David did frequent the prison, his son David born 1880 also did from what I can find,
19 1911 David is with My Grandmother Sarah Ann Moran he is listed as a visitor, he died in 1911,
My grandmother was the informant on his death certificate. I cannot find a Marriage for David I have his Birth and Death cert.
It has took me years to unravel info about David Reed all my mum knew was that my grandmother had brothers David Reed (1880) and William Reed and a cousin called Percy Reed that once played for Sheffield Wednesday which all led me to Alexander Reed’s bother David

William Reed born 12 Apr 1878 and David Reed born Aug 1880 were both baptised on
the 30 Aug 1882 at Hollis Croft (St Vincent). Parents are David and Mary of
7 Sambourne Square, Edge tool striker.

David Reed of 15 Sambourne St, parish of St Vincent's, Sheffield, aged 17yrs 5 months,
attested in the Yorks and Lancs Regiment, Coldstream Guards, on the 17 June 1897.
Regiment No. 7501.

Moira.

I have different birthdates on their birth certs.
William is 28th march 1878 father David Read Edge Tool Striker
Mother Mary Read formerly Whelan
William born 12 court Morpheth Street

David Reed 21st October Father David Reed, Edge Tool Striker
Mother Mary Reed late Whalan formerly Macloughlan
David Born 2 Court Doncaster street
Mary was the informant on both Births she left her X mark

Hi Sylvia,

The thing that is puzzling me is, that I can only find one birth registration
for a David Reed, Q4 1880 Sheffield. I searched five years either side of 1880.
Neither can I find a second baptism.

It could be that there was another David Reed but his birth was never registered.
I also can't find any census entries for another Reed family where the parents are
David and Mary with children William and David.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Moira.

With regard to the baptisms, clearly the exact date of birth for David is not recorded, just the month, August. That makes it look like either mother or father did not know it, or it is an error by the incumbent. Whichever, the same could be true for William's birth date. Mary was illiterate so even if she had birth certs she could not read them.
Was David senior also illiterate?
The army sign up is easy to explain. Whether his birthday was August or October 1880, in June 1897 he was months short of his 17th birthday, so he presumably lied about his age to get in.
Dave

Thank you Moira and Dave,
I too have searched for another David Reed born 1880,
Moira, The Attestation paper you found was the Ist time I had seen that one
There is also a Pension Record, on Ancestry which seems to fit age wise too
It seems to be from the 5th Aug 1898 with the West Yorkshires, and he came from the York and Lanc
He has his dad David Reed as next of Kin,
David born 1880 died on 17th of April 1950
He is buried in Burngreave Cemetery,
My Grandmother his sister is the Informant on his death cert.
David Reed bn 1842 I cannot find in the 1871 or the family including my grandmother in 1891
David Reed Sr he died 1911 age 68 formerly Edge tool Striker.

Sylvia,
What was the date of registration of William Read's birth in 1878 please?
Dave

Williams birth was registered 9th May 1878 his name in the index is spelt Read
His birth date is 28th of March 1878

Sylvia, thanks. I just wondered if it could have been 12th April.
Clearly not.
Interesting though because 9th May is exactly 42 days after 28th March, so on the limit before a fine would be levied for late registration. It is therefore very possible that he was actually born before 28th March and that date was given to avoid the fine.
Dave

Sylvia, was David (1880)also registered 42 days after declared birth date?
Dave

David was registered 3rd of December his birthdate 21st October 1880

Sylvia, that is 42/3 days so again on the limit. That introduces the possibility that he was actually born before21st October. Could he have really been born in August as said at the baptism?
Dave

Anything is possible with them, if their mother couldn’t read or write I would say its a possibility
Going by the 1881 census their Mother Mary was born in Ireland also,
Also there is a burial on Sheffield Indexers for a David Regal in 1911 which I wonder if it could be David Reed Sr
Because I cant find a death for a David Regal.

From this site
REGAL, David (~, AGE 68)
Died at Sheffield Union; Buried on MAY 25, 1911 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 26, Section D1 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister,D Parsons: Removed from St Cuthberts Parish

From Free BMD
Deaths Jun 1911 (>99%)
Reed David 68 Sheffield 9c 319

Page 319 calculates as Death registered about MAY 23

That pretty conclusively identifies David Regal as David Reed.

Elaine do we still have the Burngreave originals to check if it is a transcription error please?
Dave

Hi Dave,

Others maybe interested as well.

All of Burngreave Burials that are in our database were transcribed by Friends of Burngreave. They are the ones that have the original transcriptions.

If you look under the MI's you will see the contact persons and Christine Steers keeps an eye on what is posted here.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Dave,
David Reed Sr. died 19th May 1911 at Sheffield Union, Death was Registered 22nd of May 1911

Hi Elaine
Thank You I have sent a Email regarding the burial of David Regal

Dave T
From this site
REGAL, David (~, AGE 68)
Died at Sheffield Union; Buried on MAY 25, 1911 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 26, Section D1 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister,D Parsons: Removed from St Cuthberts Parish

From Free BMD
Deaths Jun 1911 (>99%)
Reed David 68 Sheffield 9c 319

Page 319 calculates as Death registered about MAY 23

That pretty conclusively identifies David Regal as David Reed.

Elaine do we still have the Burngreave originals to check if it is a transcription error please?
Dave
Hi

FMP has :

Dawa Read
aged 68
Buried 25 May 1911, Burngreave

Theres no other information, but I can easily see 'Dawa' being mistaken for 'David' given the quality of some of the handwriting!!??

A corresponding death for 'Dawa' doesn't appear on FreeBMD. So be interesting to see what Friends of Burngreave come back with!

Denise

Its David Read in the grave not David Regal
The name in the Sheffield Indexers burials
Will be changed to reflect this.
What a wonderful site this is,
I don't know what I would have done without it,
Living thousands of miles away from Sheffield
Thank you all

Thanks to Sylvia and all the Indexers who have helped me to bring my father's branch of the family tree into "full leaf". This has been a great learning experience!

I now suspect Albert Reed was the father of three sons rather than two. I have all the data on Alexander Reed, born 1907, and Walter Reed, born 1908. I have located a reference to a Stewart Reed who was born In Ecclesall Bierlow in 1914 and who died in 1915. I can't determine who were the parents of Stewart Reed, 1914-1915, Sheffield. This Stewart Reed could have been my uncle.

Thanks for any help, Bob Reed

There is a baptism of a Stewart Reed on this site born in 1914 says his parents were Albert and Ethel.

Stewart is buried in Burngreave Cemetery with Albert and Ethel.

From GRO Index
Birth Reg
REED, STEWART OSBORN
GRO Reference: 1914 J Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 883

Death Reg
REED, STEWART 0
GRO Reference: 1915 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 717

Dave

Re:Sarah Ann Reed

Did Sarah Ann Reed, daughter of David Reed, marry John Moran? I have a John Moran, 30 year old foundry worker, living with Sarah Ann Moran at 99 Smithfields in 1911. They have 3 children, William, John, and Mary. The family also has a lodger, 70 year old David Reed In 1939, the widowed Sarah Ann Moran of 56 years of age, was residing at #10 Westfield Terrace in Wakefield. She was living with 2 elementary school teachers, Mary Moran and Catherine Moran. Is this Sarah Ann Moran the former Sarah Ann Reed?

Re: Re:Sarah Ann Reed

Alrxander, the answer is No. The GRO index has all 3 of those named children as born Sheffield with MMN Whaley.
Free BMD shows a marriage in Sheffield in 1903 of John Moran to Sarah Ann Whaley.
Dave

Thanks Dave. I am still left with trying to determine who Sarah Ann Reed married, and when. Sarah was the daughter of David Reed and Mary Mclachlan; she was born in Sheffield about 1883.

Something strange is going on here.
I can find no birth reg for Sarah Ann Reed or Sarah Ann Whaley in GRO index.
On 1901 census Sarah Ann Reed 19 is with her father DAVID REED EDGE TOOL STRIKER and his "wife" Mary and there is a stepson Herbert Whalen age 10. There is no corresponding marriage for them
Also the marriage of Sarah Ann Whaley to John Moran is on FMP and she names her father as DAVIC Whaley, EDGE TOOL STRIKER.
I note from an earlier message in this thread (by Sylvia Roger) that the Death registration for David REED in 1911 was done by Sarah Ann MORAN.

Therefore it would seem that Sarah Ann Whaley who married in 1903 was the daughter of David Reed and Mary Whalen? (nee McLoughlan or other spelling)
Dave

Correction, the Herbert Whalan age 10, stepson, is with the family in 1881 not 1901.

No Edit function

Dave

Could the references to "Whaley" be errors in transcription? Might "Whaley" be actually "Whelan" which was the name of the father of Mary McLachlan's son, Herbert? Why would Sarah Ann Reed use the Whaley or Whelan name? This is, indeed, a conundrum.

The marriage cert is on FMP
There is no doubt the name is WHALEY. It is written twice, once by the vicar and a signature by Sarah Ann
Dave

Hi Dave,
I found the gro for Sarah Ann:
SARAH ANN READ B:1883 Sept qtr. Sheffield mmn: MACLANGHLAN..?? (MacLaughlan)

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi all

Also on GRO

William Herbert WHALEY, B1870, Sheffield, MMN MCLOCHLAN

Denise

Is it possible that Sarah Ann Reed's Parents were not married? Might she have then used her mother's surname of Whalen or Whaley when she married?

There is no marriage registration for her parents and her mothers name was Whaley.
Dave

She did indeed but under the name Sarah Ann Whaley

Sarah Ann Reed/Whaley is my Grandmother, I don't know why she married under the name of Whaley, listed her father as David Whaley on her Marriage certificate to John Moran, but 1911 census clearly states her dad is David Reed,
I cannot find a marriage for David Reed and Mary Mclaughlan, but in the 1871 census pretty certain Mary Mclaughlan is Married to a John Whaley transcribed as Walaley , 1911 Sarah Ann was the informant on her Fathers David Reed’s death certificate

In 1930 Sarah Ann married John William Unwin, My grandad John Moran died in 1925 he is buried in Burngreave Cemetery
Sarah Ann was living in Rock Street in 1939
Her Brother David Reed was living in Nottingham I think her other Brother William living in Lincoln and Herbert Whelan/Whaley in Halifax I think

From what I have found her Mother Mary Whaley is Buried in Burngreave, one of Sarah Ann and John Moran’s babies is in the same grave as Mary,

Thank you to all the indexers who helped to sort out the confusing information regarding Sarah Ann Reed. I now feel I have quite an accurate family history for the descendants of Alexander Reed. Alexander Reed himself remains the greatest mystery. Thank you again.