Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
marriage

Hi
I am looking for a marriage of a Samuel Burden/Burdin & Mary Stanton formaly Beaumont she was widow. Samuel was my gr-grandfather Mary died & Samuel remarried I am related to his second marriage.
They married in 1857 Oct Qtr Sheffield which church would they get married in when did the register office start for marriages.
I have looked in the Sheffield Indexers nothing I could in see that.
I hope someone could help me on this.

Thank You
Jenny

Re: marriage

Hi Jenny, You need to get the marriage certificate from the GRO to find the answer to your question. The marriage was Samuel Burden to Mary Stanton reference is 1857 December quarter Sheffield 9c 362.
If you haven't done it before this is where you go to get the certificate which costs £11. Best of luck, John

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

The marriage certificate is on FMP

November 16th 1857 The Parish Church Sheffield (ie the Cathedral)

Samuel Burden aged 26 Bachelor a brick maker Father John Burdern a labourer

Mary Stanton aged 27 Spinster no occupation Father William Stanto a collier

both living at Bridge Street

Note Mary was not a widow so are you sure your info is correct?

Hi Jennifer,

Just to fill you in a little more.

We are currently transcribing Sheffield Parish Church Marriages (Cathedral) and we have currently completed up to 1858 and will be on line shortly.

As you can imagine with it being the main church in Sheffield the numbers of marriages is huge.

If you or anyone has some spare time we could always use help transcribing. We supply all you need.

The General Register Office (GRO) has all BMD information from when Civil Registration started Sep of 1837.

Cost for a certificate has been stated eleven pounds but a pdf issued on line and is cheaper and worth looking at.

Hope this helps.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Jennifer,

Just to fill you in a little more.

We are currently transcribing Sheffield Parish Church Marriages (Cathedral) and we have currently completed up to 1858 and will be on line shortly.

As you can imagine with it being the main church in Sheffield the numbers of marriages is huge.

If you or anyone has some spare time we could always use help transcribing. We supply all you need.

The General Register Office (GRO) has all BMD information from when Civil Registration started Sep of 1837.

Cost for a certificate has been stated eleven pounds but a pdf issued on line and is cheaper and worth looking at.

Hope this helps.

Elaine in Ottawa.
Hi Elaine.

The scheme allows family historians to order digital PDF copies of birth records from 1837 to 1918 and death records from 1837 to 1957.

Marriage certificates are bot available as a pdf YET.

Hope you are well

Angela

Hi Angela,

Yes we are all well and fully vaccinated. Other than two provinces the numbers are very much reduced. Mind you after this past weekend when we celebrated "Thanksgiving" many got together for the first time and numbers are going to rise because of it. That "Delta" virus is so much harder to deal with. If we are to have boosters 6mths after the last shot that will be Xmas time. We still have to be careful until then.

So fed up of it.......

Thanks for explaining the PDF situation from the GRO.

Take care.

Elaine.

Elaine and Angela, a minor correction: GRO offers PDF for births up to and including 1920.
Dave

Hope Elaine and angela are keeping well and yes I agree fed up of it but people still behaving as if its all over when its not

Hi John
Thank you for that information I will look into the GRO & Find My Past
Thank You
Jenny

Hi John
Good afternoon from Mandurah Western Australia,
Thank you for the information on Samuel Burden I am confused about the information you have given me. Is the information of the marriage my family

I have got in 1861 census living at 4 Kitroyed Wombwell

Samuel Burden/Burdin Coalminer age 30 bapt 10 April 1831 Wadworth died 1886 pit accident Elsecar Lundhill Pitt

Mary Burden age 30 bapt 21 Nov 1830 Rotherham All Saints Scholes Kimberworth
died 1873 from Typhoid
1861 census Step daughter Jane Stancer/ Standen parents were Mary Beaumont & William Standen Jane was living with Samuel & Mary in 1861.

Children ofaSamuel
&Mary nAnn 1858 mother maiden name Beaumont GRO Ref 1858 Barnsley Union 09c page 129
Susannah 17 July 1860 Kitroyed mother GRO Beaumont Ref 1860 s Barnsley Union 09c page 133
Joseph 11862 Jump GRO mother Beaumont Ref 1862 Darfield 09c Page 141
Rosetta 29 March 1867 information from 1939 census
Eliza 4 June 1869 Jump
Christiana 25 Dec 1870 Jump information on 1939 census
also on this census is Joseph Beaumont age 24 (Hosteler) Kimberworth Mary,s brother born Kimberworth

Did Mary change her name back to Beaumont when William died to marry Samuel

Samuel in 1876 Barnsley married Mary Taylor formaly Barlow my gr grandparents
Their youngest daughter Violetta born 1886 Elsecar my grandmother.

Thank You I hope you can help
Jenny

Sam

Good afternoon from Sheffield, England.

Can I ask you what makes you think the parents of Jane Standen on the 1861 census are William and Mary nee Beaumont? You state that she was living with Samuel and Mary and is classed as Step daughter if she was the daughter of William and Mary then I presume it would have said niece (assuming Samuel and William were brothers)

What was the name of the person Samuel married the second time and in what year was it please I need to see if this certificate is on line and see what it names as his father. Could there in fact be two Samuel Burden marriages to Mary Standen in 1857 and I havefound the wrong one.

The thing is that the bates of baptisms you have given tally nicely with the ages when samuel and Mary married.

If you can post the details of the second marriage and list all the children they had we will hopefully solve this for you but I definitely think there is some confusion somewhere that the others could assist us with.

John

Jennifer, I now feel I understand your problem. I have checked every possibility and it is clear that There is no marriage registration ,under any name, for Mary nee Beaumont and Samuel Burden. It was not uncommon for couples to simply get together as man and wife and have children, all without the formality of marriage.
All their children you named full check out on GRO Index with Mmn Beaumont.
You did miss one. They had a girl called Bithia in 1865. She died in 1868 registered Barnsley.
There is clearly a lot of confusion about the exact name of Mary's husband William. It seems the marriage cert, at Wath on Dearne in 1849, is difficult to decipher. FMP HAS IT AS Spencer and as undeciphered. Free BMD has it as Stamer. WilliamS death is registered 1853 as Stancey and the birth of daughter Jane is Stancey, There are both birth reg and baptism for her in 1850, but one is as Jane and the other as Sarah Jane. Everything adds to the confusion.
Dave

Hi Jennifer et al,
Here is another possible scenario.
MARY BEAUMONT B:23rd Oct/1830 Scholes/Kimberworth
Baptized: 21st Nov/1830 All Saints, Scholes, Kimberworth

1st marriage: 1849/Sept qtr/Rotherham District
to: WILLIAM STAMER/Stancey/whatever..??

1841 Census: WILLIAM STANCEY born about 1829 Wath on Dearne. Occupation: Miner living at HOYLAND (Hoyland is also where Sarah Jane Stancey was born in 1850)
WILLIAM along with what appears to be three Stancey brothers and a sister are boarding with Francis Smith (Shoemaker) and his family.

WILLIAM STANCEY dies in 1853
Widowed Mary (STANTON..??) re-marries in 1857/Dec qtr/Sheffield.
To: SAMUEL BURDEN

References: Ancestry(some Fam.Trees)/Family Search/BMD/GRO

The rest has all been mentioned by others.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Wendy
That marriage was requested by Jennifer to start this thread. It was then reported by John (from FMP). MARY stanton was a SPINSTER .
Dave

Hi John,
I am just as confused as ever you asked for the marriage of Samuel Burden 1831- 1886 & Mary Taylor formaly Barlow born 1839 Tipton Staffordshire died 1911 Wombwell married 1876 Barnsley not sure of the church it could be St Marys Wombwell where I was baptised.
Samuels parents were John Burden 1806 Emsall died 1869 Wadworth in 1827 married Hannah Carr 1799-1847 Wadworth
1841 lived in Low Street Wadworth ( Agriculteral Labourer)
1851 lived in Hall Lane Wadworth "

Mary was married 1859 West Bromwich Staffordshire before to a John Taylor 1839 Clanes Worcestershire ( Coalminer)died 1873 in a pit accident living in Stubbin Hoyland.

Children of Samuel Burden/Burdin & Mary Taylor

Sarah Elizabeth 1877 Elsecar- 1904 Rotherham
Lily June 1879 Jump died 1963 Wombwell
Mary 8 Dec Jump died 1967 Staincross
Emily 18 Nov 1882 St Helens Hoyland died 1859 Staincross
Violetta July 1886 Elsecar died 1965 Wombwell she married 1907 Darfield to Harry Senior 1879 Birdwell died 1944 Wombwell my grandparents.

In 1861 census I said Jane Stancey/Stanton was a stepdaughter I looked it up again it stated daughter-in-law.

The marriage in Wath upon Dearne of a William Stanton/Stamer & Mary Beaumont on the marriage certificate it looks if it was mis-transcribed. William Stamer Minor Batchelor Hoyland father William Stamer Miner.
Mary Beaumont Minor Spinster Hoyland father William Beaumont Miner.
Both made their mark X
Witnesses Charles Evans Elizabeth Platts both made their mark X

Mary,s mother was a Sarah Platts so I wondered if Elizabeth was a relation.

Thank you for your help fingers crossed it will be sorted out.

Jenny

Jennifer, and Wendy et Al
I have looked hard at the 1857 marriage of Mary Stanton to Samuel Burden. I believe everyone would agree that if I it was not for the statement that Mary was a spinster it would fit perfectly to your family. Their 2 ages are correct, Samuel's father matches, and the first name and occupation of Mary's father match also.
Looking at the mzrriage cert in detail, it was one of 8 marriages by the vicar on the same day. Both Mary and Samuel were illiterate, as was their witness John Case. The other witness was Isaac Chatterton, a regular so a church official. Therefore he would not know the bride and groom.
So If the vicar made a mistake, no one else there would be able to see it, let alone correct it. If he put down that she was a spinster and asked for her father name and occupation she may well have replied William a miner, and he would logically but wrongly add Stanton.
Overall, on balance, and supported by being unable to identify any Burden children with mmn Stanton or similar, I believe it is the correct marriage with an error by the vicar in not picking up she was a widow.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your messages why did Samuel & Mary put all the children baptisms under Beaumont & not Burden unless who was transcribing he was deaf at that time ask what her maiden name was she answered Beaumont & that is what he wrote down. I can understand 1 or 2 of the children put down as Beaumont but not all of them.

My gr- grandmother on my dads side when my gr grandfather died my gr grandmother to the roll of a housekeeper 2 lodgers who was living with them .They were father & son my gr grandmother had 6 children to the father all took the name of my gr grandfather except the last one took the name of the lodger.
It puts a new name to the meaning of a housekeeper On one of the census she was a Wife crossed out & Housekeeper wrote over it after she had the children they got married.

So it would not surprise me if they did not get married. I know couples got together for survival & if there were other children brought into from another marriage my gr grandad ended up with 19 children from 2 marriages both wives had previous marriages & they had children themselves. It must have been interesting at bath & bed time living in a cottage

Where is Bridge Street was that in Sheffield .

So you think this is the right marriage but it states she was a spinster I am still confused I cannot find another marriage of Samuel & Mary. The saga still continues.

Thank your again for your help

Jenny

Jennifer,
You say that the children were BAPTISED Beaumont, not Burden.
I cannot find BAPTISMS for any of these children (neither in the name Burden nor Beaumont). Their BIRTH REGISTRATIONS are all recorded in the GRO index where they are all named BURDEN or BURDIN and their mothers maiden name is recorded as BEAUMONT.
Since 1837 every birth registration records the mother maiden name.

Everyone makes mistakes. They happen.
Either that marriage in 1857 is the correct one and the Spinster bit is either a mistake by the vicar or by Samuel or a deliberate lie by Mary
OR, it is not the correct marriage and they did not get married
In either case they lived together, had those children together and correctly registered those children at the Registry Office as required by law.
The key pieces of info which say it is the correct marriage are the facts that (Sarah) Jane Stancey had Mother Maiden name Beaumont (from birth reg) and, from her baptism, her parents were Mary and William, a miner, and that same Jane was with Mary and Samuel in 1861 as "daughter in law (a common error in those days for step daughter).

Bridge Street is still in Sheffield today. Google it

Dave

Dave, just an idea unless its been found already and I have missed it, Jane named on the 1861 as Stancey as as daughter in law, have we found her marriage and is her certificate on line? just thinking what it shows her father as and do the witnesses give clues.

No time to look myself now, got to go to work.

Hi Jenny,

Looking at FMP and in particular the census for 1861,71 & 1881 they are living in Wombwell Nr Barnsley. It states they were born in Staffordshire on the 1881 census. That's is why we are not turning anything up in our Database.

I notice that the 1881 census information seems to wobble a little.

Mary is nine years younger than Samuel. Is this the 2nd marriage?

All the children seem to have been born in Darfield, Nr Barnsley. Another reason for us not turning up their baptisms.

There are also children with a surname of Taylor so I am presuming this was Mary's previous married name. Four of the Taylor children were born in Staffordshire. One born in Darfield.

Another observation......The marriage you have found in Sheffield states Samuel was a brickmaker which makes me doubt that is the correct marriage which is throwing you off.

I could be wrong but as you can see I have used just the census information to try and sort the problem out.

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa Canada.

PS...... I wonder....... There is a Jane Stancer registered in Sheffield 22-665 June of
1850. The 1861 census stated that Jane Stancer D.I.L. aged 10 but born in Hoyland.
Living at Kitroyde House Wombwell. Samuel born Wadworth Derbyshire. Mary aged 30 born Kimberworth Yks. George Beaumont is there also. aged 24 a border and born in Kimberworth

Does that link him to Mary? Siblings?

Further note...1861 census. Ann Burden the first child to Samuel & Mary was 2yrs old born Wombwell so a 1858/59 birth to check out.

FreeBMD should help you there.
Births Sep 1858
Burdin Ann Barnsley 9c 129

Elaine, These are the births registrations from GRO Index

Name of child: Mother's Maiden Surname:

BURDIN, ANN BEAUMONT
GRO Reference: 1858 S Quarter in BARNSLEY UNION Volume 09C Page 129

BURDEN, SUSANNAH BEAUMONT
GRO Reference: 1860 S Quarter in BARNSLEY UNION Volume 09C Page 133

BURDEN, JOSEPH BEAUMONT
GRO Reference: 1862 S Quarter in DARFIELD Volume 09C Page 141

BURDIN, BITHIA BEAUMONT
GRO Reference: 1865 S Quarter in BARNSLEY UNION Volume 09C Page 148

BURDIN, ROSETTA BEAUMONT
GRO Reference: 1867 J Quarter in BARNSLEY UNION Volume 09C Page 180

BURDEN, ELIZA BEAUMONT
GRO Reference: 1869 M Quarter in BARNSLEY UNION Volume 09C Page 168

BURDEN, CHRISTIANA BEAUMONT
GRO Reference: 1870 D Quarter in BARNSLEY UNION Volume 09C Page 173

Bithia died age 3 in 1868, also from Free BMD. Mary Burden nee Beaumont died in 1873

Dave

In 1841 Samuel Birdin was ag lab. No reason why he could not be brickmaker in 1857 and miner in 1861. All jobs requiring hard work but no formal training.
Dave

Edit not functioning
Correction 1851 not 1841
Dave

Hi Dave & Jenny,

Using different approaches I think we can say we have exhausted our suggestions for your
family. We have filled you in on where they all were and where they were born.

I believe the church in Darfield was called All Saints which may turn up baptisms etc.

Which would be a good start.

Still lots more research for you to complete and that's the fun part of it.

Kindest regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine
Just to say thank you for your help in my research it has given me a lot to think about.
Jenny

Hi Dave
Just to say thank you for all the research you have done for me.
It will give me a lot to do in my research. What got me confused was Samuels marriage to Mary Beaumont & her daughter Jane will have to do some more research on her.

Thank You
Jenny