Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dora Ann Helliwell/Gosling

Hi All Up until the 1939 Dora Ann is using her "maiden" name of Helliwell but on the 1939 Register and her death registration, her name is given as Gosling. When her daughter, Kate marries John William Baldwin, she gives her surname as Gosling, but is Helliwell on the census returns I have found. I cannot find a marriage for Dora Ann to William Gosling on this site or Family Search. Could Dora Ann and William have decided to say they had married out of convienance?

Re: Dora Ann Helliwell/Gosling

William's Probate summary states:
GOSLING William of Holdworth Yorkshire Died 21 January 1928 at Thorn House Farm Holdworth Probate [was granted in] London 20 June [1929] to Dora Ann Helliwell spinster. Effects [valued at £50].
So it would seem they were never married - may be worth obtaining a copy of the will to see if he made any comment about their relationship?
(£1.50 from https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=gosling&yearOfDeath=1929&page=2#calendar)

Thorn House Farm is here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4173909,-1.5645738,3a,57.7y,286.64h,90.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3awmlJHLs05Kn3-ntJFaZA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Hi Ted, Thank you for the information about the probate, so I can now send for. The fact they never married fits in wit what my father said. My mother, Dora Ann`s granddaughter, was more resevered on the issue, despite the fact Dora Ann lived with Kate and John William until she died, at which point, my mum would have been 9 years old.

Hi Cathie,
BMD and GRO websites both have your KATE GOSLING with a birth registration as KATE HELLIWELL which confirms your census findings.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Just an idea but could be going in the wrong direction so apologises if i am. When did Dora Ann die and did she leave a will? Could the fact be that whoever registered the death assumed that they were married and hence the reason for the name Gosling on the death certificate. It would be interesting to see if Dora Ann left a will and what name was used on that. Another idea though is could Dora Ann have married a Gosling after William had died ie a brother of William and the brother too had died.

Probably totally wrong so apologise again if this is the case.

John