Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George William Nevin

Hi I am trying to find the resting place of a former footballer who died in Sheffield in 1973. From free bmd it says volune 2D page 840. Can anyone tell me what that means and will it help me find where he's buried.
Many thanks Wayne

Re: George William Nevin

Wayne, the document you refer to is his death registration. You could use that to buy his death certificate (cost £12). However that will give you only the address where he died the date his death was registered (which was early March 1973), the cause of death and the name of the person registering the death.
He could have been buried anywhere (not necessarily Sheffield), or may have been cremated and his ashes buried anywhere.
Dave

I don't find a burial record anywhere, think it's safe to assume he was cremated.

Regards

Terry

Wayne
According to Free BMD George married Vera Cawthorne in 1936 in Sheffield. Vera Nevin died in 1998 in Sheffield. She was born in 1917 in Sheffield. OUR burial records over to the left have a record for her father William Edward Cawthorne who was cremated in December 1951 and his ashes buried at City Road.
Our records for cremations only go up to the end of 1951.
Dave

I haven't access to the National Newspaper Archives but i wonder if there is an obituary somewhere, that could help us. Do you know who he played for as perhaps that football club might know.

John

Hello Wayne
George William Nevin, 65 was cremated at City Road om 26th March 1973. His Cremation Number is 96772. Bereavement Services can tell you what happened to his cremated remains.
This info is from an Index Book, the registers are not available to the public.

I'm sorry it has took so long for me to reply to this. Unfortunately I have contacted covid and am feeling really unwell. However I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply to me. George was a Wednesday play of the 1930s.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Nevin

I have newspaper access...absolutely nothing comes up.Best of luck with the covid.

Regards

Terry

I have rang bereavement services and they told me George was scattered in Section 3 Hutcliffe wood. Thanks again for everyone's help