Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Baptism

Hi I’m trying to find the parents of Jonathan Harrison bn 1818 in Yorkshire. He married Elizebeth Duckenfield in 1841...thank you for reading regards Janet

Re: Baptism

Just to give you a start did you notice that the marriage had been transcribed by us and its in our database.

HARRISON, Jonathan (Bachelor, age 23, Sawyer, residing at Russell St).
Married Elizabeth DUCKENFIELD, on December 12, 1841, by William Harris (Banns) at
Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield. Father's name is Saml Harrison (Cotton dresser).
Married in the presence of J Hudson,J Kirk.
Notes: Bride signed with a mark.
Page No: 61 Reg No: 121

I then checked out our 1841 census index. Over to the left.

Harrison, Jonathan of Norrisfield, Sheffield North. Aged 20 years.
(Piece #1335/12, folio 28b, enumeration district 28.)

I will see if I can find more on that census from my disks.

1861 census.
Ct 4, 4 Broomhall St, Ecclesall Bierlow. Sheffield.
Jonathan Harrison h.m. 43 Lab Cheshire
Elizabeth Harrison aged 45 born Sheffield
Benjamin Harrison son 18 Lab born Cheshire.

Hope this helps.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Janet,

That wedding is in the SheffieldIndexers database and Jonathan Harrison, 23, bachelor, sawyer, of Rupert St, is listed as the son of Saml. Harrison, a cotton dresser. (Elizabeth's dad is listed as Richd. Duckenfield, Sawyer).

That "cotton dresser" thing makes it sound like he came from the "wrong" side of the Pennines...

Elizabeth and Jonathan show up in the 1861 census, living in Broomhall Street. Jonathan's place of birth is given as Cheshire. In the 1851 census they were in Cheshire in a place called Werneth and it gives his place of birth as Werneth.

There was a nice informative nonconformist baptism in Werneth which says that Jonathan was son of Samuel Harrison of Werneth by Ann his wife daughter of Jonathan and Susanna Deplitch and he was born March 17 1818 and baptised January 18 1819.

Looking at the records from 1808 when Ann and Samuel married, Ann (Jonathan's mum) was called Ann DEPLEDGE.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi thank you for this info I can carry on a bit further now ... I struggle to find info myself as I only have internet on my phone until I can get to a library thank you again.

Hi thank you for your reply.... that’s put my mind at rest about being on the right track the Deplitch/Depledge link is helpful.And my grandad was born over the Pennines Barton upon Irwell regards Janet

Hi Janet,

Just to add to Andrews very informative message I will add the 1841 census information.

1841 census Norrisfield, Sheffield.

Richard Duckenfield aged 50 Sawyer born Yks.
Jonth Harrison aged 20 Sawyer born Yks
John (Th)urman aged 20 Grinder
Martha Thurman aged 20

Next door.
Charles Harrison aged 25 Sawyer born Yks
Ann aged 27 not born Yks.

I also have Duckenfields in my tree. Not that common a name and I do have a couple of Richards. BUT it will be a long shot if they turn up in your tree.

If Martha Thurman was a Duckenfield born 1820 she would fit into the tree I have.
Her father was a Richard but her mother was Elizabeth Maxwell.
I dont have an Elizabeth born 1815ish daughter of Richard.

The Richard I have I believe was born about 1784 was married twice and had 13 children that I know of. This is not a line I have researched with certainty so the information needs re researching.

Might help you down the road.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

I have to say that I know Werneth well. It is just outside Oldham in Greater Manchester so I am somewhat surprised it was once classified as in Cheshire. I would have expected Lancs. Incidentally it is only a short distance from Barton on Irwell, which is right by the Manchester Ship Canal
Dave

Edit Correction there is a Werneth Low near Stockport in Cheshire.

Ok thank you for the information

Thank you for the extra information I’m having a full morning on my family history tomorrow so plenty to keep me busy.

From FMP birth 17 Mar 1818 baptised 18 Jun 1819 at Hyde Chapel Presbytarian Stockport

Father is Samuel Harrison mother Ann Deplitch

John

Hi Dave.
F.Y.I.
As you said there is a Werneth near Oldham in Lancashire but according to the Genuki website there was also a Werneth near Stockport in Cheshire and also a Werneth Low. In 1897 Werneth, Cheshire was renamed Compstall.
Cheers.
HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Wendy, thanks for that. It must have been very confusing having 2 places called Werneth in 2 different counties but only about 10 miles apart (as the crow flies). No wonder they changed its name.
I now feel that my confusion was fully justified.
Dave