Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Irish Lavelle's in Sheffield

I am trying to trace records on 3 siblings; Patrick, Thomas & Ann Lavelle who came to Sheffield from Ireland. Their father is believed to be called Patrick.

Through the Sheffield Indexers records I found Ann married Michael Carroll in Sheffield 1862 & had a number of children baptised at St Vincents.

Thomas also had children baptised at St Vincents and possibly St Maries. However the mother is variously recorded as Alice (Alicae, Alicia, Alace) Watts or Watson or Walsh. Is this likely to be a transcription error? How can I find out? I cannot trace a marriage for Thomas and Alice in any of the surnames. Ann Carroll nee Lavelle is a godmother to one of Thomas's children.

The only possible trace for Patrick is a marriage record for Mariam Lavelle to Michael Higgins in 1863 at St Marie.The fathers name is Patritii Lavelle.It is in the presence of Michael & Anna Carroll so I am sure it is connected. However I can find no further mention of Patrick anywhere.

Any suggestions welcome.If anyone has any information on the Irish in Sheffield I would be very grateful as I am now stuck!!

Gary

Re: Irish Lavelle's in Sheffield

Hi,
Marriage on here for sibling Patrick Lovell to Mary Kilgar 1855. Witness Ann Lovell.
Could Miriam be another sibling?

There is a marriage on FreeBMD for a Thomas Devell to Alice Watts March Q 1871 in Sheffield which is a possibility. Unable to find a corresponding marriage on this site, but others on here are much better at searching than me. This marriage would fit with the two baptisms on here for Ann born 1872 and John Thomas born 1874. I have noticed that Lavelle is recorded with many spelling variations.

Gary
The GRO INDEX sorts out the mother maiden name conundrum. It has Ann Levell 1882 as mmn WATTS (not Walsh) and Ellen Levell 1880 mmn WATTS (not Watson). It also has Alice Lavelle 1884 mmn WATTS.
Therefore it looks like the MMN was definitely WATTS and the Walsh and Watson in our baptisms are erroneous for some reason. Whether they are original register errors or transcription errors could be found by going back to the original baptism registers.
Dave

Great find Claire
That marriage is on FMP
Dave

Claire

Thanks for your quick and very helpful replies. You have made more progress this morning than I have in weeks! There is certainly more to look into now.

I was not aware they had a sibling Miriam but there has to be a connection. I will ask around the family to see what I can find out.

Thanks again

Gary

Dave

Thanks for clearing that up. I was worried I was barking up the wrong tree.

Sorry to be stupid but what is FMP.

Gary

Find My Past. It is a fee paying Web site. You can sign up for it and get a 2 week free trial
Dave

On FreeBMD the Lavell/Higgins marriage shows Mariam to be Mary. The names are usually recorded in Latin on the registers from st Vincent’s and st Marie’s, so I’d ask family about a sibling called Mary rather than Mariam. Good luck!

Hi Gary

Following on from Daves post re Mother Maiden Names - I've checked out our transcriptions against the original Baptism records and our transcriptions are correct with Walsh/Watson.

So looks like a clerical error when the original register was completed at the time.

For info, the original images are on

Familysearch

https://www.familysearch.org/search/

Which if you're not aware, is free to use (you can register for an account) and you'll be able to download the images.

Denise

I have found the originals we worked from and our transcription is correct.

As Denise has pointed out the error occurred at the time of the baptisms.

Family Search is really doing a good job on showing the originals.

My suggestion is to check our database if the person you are researching is listed so you will have all the info from our database which has over 2 million entries and can then follow up by looking on Family search with a copy of the original entry.

As a good old Yorkshire Lass its wont cost you owt that way.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype