Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norrisfield sheffield north

Hi does anyone know where Norrisfield is or what it refers to on the 1841 census an Elizebeth Duckenfield Ben 1816. Thank you for reading.

Re: Norrisfield sheffield north

Janet,

Someone in my family tree lived in Norris Field / Norrisfield. In my notes I wrote that Spring St ran through the middle of Norris Field (can't remember why I thought that though).

I just found an old book on the net which says that "NORICE FIELD" was "a place near Bower Spring and Colston Street in Sheffield, extending down to the river".

Bower Spring is a little dead-end road now, not far from the remaining section of Spring St.

I haven't been able to find Norris Field on any old maps though.

Cheers,

Andrew P

Many thanks for the info ....

Hi Janet,
There are a number of Duckenfield's on this website:
On the 1841 census- Richard Duckenfield age 50 of Norrisfield, Sheffield North who was a sawyer. With him his daughter, Martha newly wed (20) to John Thurman (20) and a Jom's** Harrison (20).
Martha's marriage(in 1841) is also on this site and the record says she is residing at Norris Field.

On the Genuki website there is an interesting, possible clue for a William Singleton & Co., Timber Merchant, 9 Tudor Street and Norrisfield Saw Mills.

If..and here I am speculating, the Saw Mills were on or near the Tudor Street referred to, then I believe it was on the east side of Thomas Street/ possibly Surrey St and Arundel St. areas.

I am sure the capable sleuths on this site will correct me if I am wrong in my speculations.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi thank you for your reply. My 4x gr granddad Jonathan Harrison is on my paternal side he married Elizebeth Duckenfield in 1841 December 26 I think 🤔 it’s interesting all this family history but a bit puzzling too !!