Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No wife occupation on marriage certificate

I have noticed that on a 1940 wedding certificate there is no occupation recorded for the wife.
The lady had not been married before and did not have children so at 18 years old and in war time I would have thought she would have been in employment.
Any ideas ?

Re: No wife occupation on marriage certificate

Phil,
Conscription for unmarried women did not start until 1941, and it was not extended to married women till 1943
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you, I thought it started earlier.
That explains things.

The 1939 Register recorded employment so may help.

My aunt married in 1942 and worked for Batchelors canning factory but declined to have that noted on her wedding certificate.
Lyn

Ted
The 1939 Register recorded employment so may help.
I have tried the 1939 register but it is closed for the person I am interested in.

Lyn
My aunt married in 1942 and worked for Batchelors canning factory but declined to have that noted on her wedding certificate.
Lyn
I have heard of this before and wonder if it was quite common for the woman not to have an occupation recorded.

It was very common for the bride to not have an occupation recorded.
Dave

Dave T
It was very common for the bride to not have an occupation recorded.
Dave
What that even if they were working ?

Phil, yes that is correct. It was relatively rare for the bride to have an occupation declared. This is quite easy to confirm using our marriages over to the left.
Dave

Dave T
Phil, yes that is correct. It was relatively rare for the bride to have an occupation declared. This is quite easy to onfirm using our marriages over to the left.
Dave
Thank you

Just to put it in context it looks like more than 90% of brides have no declared occupation on marriage
Dave

Dave T
Just to put it in context it looks like more than 90% of brides have no declared occupation on marriage
Dave
Amazing.
I will have to wait until next year when the entry on the 1939 register is opened for 1922.

Observations based on our transcription of Walkley St Mary marriages, 1870-2009 (7,029 marriages)

The *first* entry listing a bride's occupation was in 1914 (the 2,781st marriage)

There were short periods when brides' occupations were regularly listed in 1922/23, 1930 and 1933-38

From May 1944 to 1954 only a handful of entries do *not* have brides' occupations

From 1956 to 1965 there are *no* brides' occupations

Since 1965 again most entries have occupations

I conclude the attitudes and practice of individual clerks/ministers has a lot to do with whether this information is asked for and recorded.

Hugh

Hugh
Observations based on our transcription of Walkley St Mary marriages, 1870-2009 (7,029 marriages)

The *first* entry listing a bride's occupation was in 1914 (the 2,781st marriage)

There were short periods when brides' occupations were regularly listed in 1922/23, 1930 and 1933-38

From May 1944 to 1954 only a handful of entries do *not* have brides' occupations

From 1956 to 1965 there are *no* brides' occupations

Since 1965 again most entries have occupations

I conclude the attitudes and practice of individual clerks/ministers has a lot to do with whether this information is asked for and recorded.

Hugh
I find this surprising for an official document which I would have thought would be standardised in it"s completion.

Marriages which take place in church are recorded in the church registers. Those records are collected every 3 months by the GRO who will issue certificates on request.
The church does not generate a birth cert
Dave