Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Electoral rolls and Kelly’s Directories

Which month would a person be living at an address for this address to be listed as theirs in the electoral roll and Kelly’s Directory. ?
I have a family listed in the 1957-58 electoral roll at an address but they have left there in the 1957 Kelly’s Directory i
Thank you for any help.

Re: Electoral rolls and Kelly’s Directories

Hi Philip,

If you look over to the left in our Index there is a Directories section which includes people willing to do look ups for you.

Thanks Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine,
I do not want Look Ups but want to know which month a family were living at an address to be included in the electoral roll and Kelly’s.
Regards,
Phil.

Hi Philip

If the electoral registers were compiled at the same time as they are today, then they are filled in about six months before the published list giving tenants plenty of time to move.

As for the Kelly's directories I would imagine they were printed 1-2 years after the compilation.

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/featuredarticles/2012/an-introduction-to-directories-43/

Festus Kelly, who supervises the compilation of this popular directory, explained how the information is gathered and put together. "Each year, we have canvassers to whom various districts are appointed", Kelly continued. "These commence to visit the streets allotted to them about the last week in July. They carefully note any changes, or insert new occupiers' names on slips of last year's Directory. They thoroughly study their district in this manner, and send in the results of their survey about the last week in September."
Once collected, the slips are collated and prepared for press, before the canvassers revisit the districts and add any changes. Work can then start on the Official and Parliamentary sections. You would think that there would be a number of obstacles to stop you obtaining this information, but Kelly insists that this isn't difficult. "After a General Election, the new members' names and addresses can be procured from the Gazettes. If an address is not forthcoming, the House of Commons does not cause much labour. The 'Official' details are supplied to us mostly from headquarters."
With a Directory as extensive as this, the number of people involved is also huge. Kelly explains that they have around 200 people which are directly concerned in completing the book on time, and a huge amount of type is needed. "Roughly speaking, we need about seventeen tons of type for the production of this last edition, which you will see contains 2858 pages of 'Directory' matter, independent of the numerous advertisements."
Once printed, they are sent all across the world. "We send a large number to the Colonies, to the United States, and all over Europe. We annually set apart sheets of the 'Directory' for binding in a certain style, for the use of her Majesty the Queen. Then all the public offices take a large quantity, and museums, libraries, banks are, of course, good customers."

Angela T
Hi Philip

If the electoral registers were compiled at the same time as they are today, then they are filled in about six months before the published list giving tenants plenty of time to move.

As for the Kelly's directories I would imagine they were printed 1-2 years after the compilation.

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/featuredarticles/2012/an-introduction-to-directories-43/

Festus Kelly, who supervises the compilation of this popular directory, explained how the information is gathered and put together. "Each year, we have canvassers to whom various districts are appointed", Kelly continued. "These commence to visit the streets allotted to them about the last week in July. They carefully note any changes, or insert new occupiers' names on slips of last year's Directory. They thoroughly study their district in this manner, and send in the results of their survey about the last week in September."
Once collected, the slips are collated and prepared for press, before the canvassers revisit the districts and add any changes. Work can then start on the Official and Parliamentary sections. You would think that there would be a number of obstacles to stop you obtaining this information, but Kelly insists that this isn't difficult. "After a General Election, the new members' names and addresses can be procured from the Gazettes. If an address is not forthcoming, the House of Commons does not cause much labour. The 'Official' details are supplied to us mostly from headquarters."
With a Directory as extensive as this, the number of people involved is also huge. Kelly explains that they have around 200 people which are directly concerned in completing the book on time, and a huge amount of type is needed. "Roughly speaking, we need about seventeen tons of type for the production of this last edition, which you will see contains 2858 pages of 'Directory' matter, independent of the numerous advertisements."
Once printed, they are sent all across the world. "We send a large number to the Colonies, to the United States, and all over Europe. We annually set apart sheets of the 'Directory' for binding in a certain style, for the use of her Majesty the Queen. Then all the public offices take a large quantity, and museums, libraries, banks are, of course, good customers."
Hi Angela,
thank you very much for your help.
I think my family of interest will have moved addresses at the beginning of 1957 to be recorded in both.
Best wishes,
Phil.

Phil,

The reason for my suggesting you contact a person who has one of the "Directories" would be that there was probably a date mentioned of when the person you are looking for would have been at the address. I remember from past posting of this subject people paid to be placed in the "Directories" and it would take a year before they would alter the information in the case of a death etc. I know nothing about the Electoral Rolls as I am sure every country does it differently. I see that Angela has filled you in, thanks Angela.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine in Ottawa
Phil,

The reason for my suggesting you contact a person who has one of the "Directories" would be that there was probably a date mentioned of when the person you are looking for would have been at the address. I remember from past posting of this subject people paid to be placed in the "Directories" and it would take a year before they would alter the information in the case of a death etc. I know nothing about the Electoral Rolls as I am sure every country does it differently. I see that Angela has filled you in, thanks Angela.

Elaine.
Hi Elaine,
the dates I was interested are 1955 and 1956.
Unfortunately Kelly"s Directories were not published for these years.
The 1957 Kellys showed they were no longer living at the address the electoral roll showed them to be at for 1957-8.
Regards,
Phil.