Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Find a Grave

Could you help me find the grave of one of my Gt Aunts her name was Annie Elizabeth Noble
dob abt 1866 - Sept 1954 her husband was Charles Henry Marples dob 19th Oct. 1865 - Mch 1915 they were both from Sheffield. I have found several with the name Annie Elizabeth she may also have the name Hodgkinson as Noble was her mothers maiden name.
Thank you

Re: Find a Grave

Marlene,

Sorry I don’t know about where Annie Elizabeth was buried (Charles Henry is listed on this site, in City Road).

But I can say that she gave her full name as Annie Elizabeth Noble Hodgkinson (of 10c 1 h Sheldon St) on 21 May 1893 when she married Charles Henry Marples, labourer, of 10 c Apple Street.

They both had very nice handwriting by the way.

Witnesses were A Noble and C Noble. Grooms dad unknown. Bride's dad William Hodgkinson, striker. Bride and groom aged 27
10 years later their relationship might have been going through a rocky patch because Charles Henry put a notice in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of Wednesday 23 September 1903 saying that he, Charles Henry Marples of 1 Court 1 House London Road, would not be responsible for any debts contracted by his wife, Annie Elizabeth, after 22/9/1903.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Thank you for that information, would it be possible to let me have Charles grave details so I can check the grave out.
I shall have to delve deeper into Annie's situation.

Marlene,

Yes:

Marples, Charles Henry (Labourer, age 49).
Died at 72 Porter St; Buried on January 28, 1915 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 14288, Section Y of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: .
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 2461

You can find it in the Burial Records via the left-hand menu - there are some other people in the same grave, including a Joseph Marples who died in Wakefield in 1917, his sister Mary Jane Alpine and her husband.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Thank you. you have confirmed what I thought was Charles Henry Marples grave. I shall have to look further into Annie Elizabeth Noble's burial