Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Walter Richmond Brown

G'day

Now for another sibling. I can't find nurial or baptism for him. Ive got a birth index 1868 at least

Can someone find these records for me please?

Found a marriage index for 1905 in Herftfordshire but not convinced that was him.

cheers
Leisa

Re: Walter Richmond Brown

Leisa,

A Walter Richmond Brown of 1 Bates St in Walkley (the burial record adds Royal Infirmary in brackets) was buried in Walkley 17 May 1913, officiating minister Sydney S Smith.

This site has his burial, in Grave Number 89, Section E of Walkley Cemetery.

Census records:
1881 he was at 108, Rockingham Street with his dad Samuel and the family.
1891 still at home (now 36 Conduit Road) and working as a schoolmaster.
1901 still at home (36, Conduit Road), still single, now "assistant schoolmaster".
1911 dunno.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Leisa,

I reckon that you were right about the wedding in Herefordshire in 1905. In 1911 WR Brown was in 1 Bates St with Sarah Jane Brown who was 39 and born in Much Marcle Herefordshire. (FMP has Walter as "WalKer Richmond Brown" in 1911).

Teachers did get around a bit sometimes, particularly if they could sign up with an agency like Gabbitas & Thring.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi Leisa,

Walter Richmond Brown, bap 2 April 1869 at Hanover St. United Methodists.
Parents are Sarah Ann and Samuel.

No other information as this is a transcript only.

Moira.

Thank you all for your help with the Browns. I'm buggered if I know why I can't find them on here when you can.

Got 1 left....

cheers
Leisa

Leisa
You need to make judicious use of the wildcard in our databases. Do not try to find exactly the complex name. If we have spelled it differently, or if there is an error or any extra space, you will not find it
For example you have to find Walter Richmond Brown.
Brown is a common surname. Forget it. Walter is a common forename, forget it.
Richmond is a very uncommon forename. Go for that Search *richmond* in forename. There are very few answers and one is yours. That is all you need. And if we have misspelt Walter, eg Walker, you will still find it.
As an educational exercise in any of our files try the following 3 different searches and see what you get.
John Smith
John* Smith
John * Smith
Dave

Thanks for that advice Dave.

I've tried various wild card searches to find the baptism for their mum Sarah Ann Harrop and had no luck. Have used her dad's name too. John Harrop

I've got a baptism record for her from Family Seach but it does not give a church.
27.1.1836 and her birth 1.1.1876

I'll try the double * because that I've not tried before.

cheers
Leisa

The Sarah Ann Harrop baptised 1836 was at Sheffield Parish Church. I can see that on Fmp and I do not have a subscription.
Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm not a member there either. I am surprised it did not come up on this site.

cheers
Leisa

Leisa, it is on this site. Her father name is given as Joel.
Dave

G'day Dave

Had a look and can't find it. I found a Sarah with Dad Joel and Mum Ellen for June and thats not my Sarah.

I've used the wild card searches and buggered if I can find it.

ewwwww

Leisa, the record on this site is the baptism for the Sarah Ann who is also shown on FMP and therefore presumably Family Search. There is no baptism record on this site for Sarah Ann born 1836 father John.
Dave

Leisa, I think we have got to the bottom of your missing Sarah Ann Harrop. In fact FMP has 2 different Sarah Ann Harrops, the one you see in our database and a second, also baptised 1836 at Sheffield Parish Church. She had father John and mother Sarah Ann and was baptised in January 1836.
Denise has investigated and it seems that, in error, somehow a few pages of the original baptism records for exactly that period failed to make it into our transcriptions (that was 4 years ago).That error will be put right in the near future, It involves getting fresh photos of the originals, transcribing and uploading so please be patient.
Dave

MI for the grave in Walkley Cemetery:

E89 [fallen cross]

In
loving memory
of
WALTER RICHMOND BROWN
who fell asleep May 14th 1913
aged 44 years
Blessed are the dead which died in the Lord

I don't have a photo but other members of the Friends are likely to have one if you would like one.

Hugh

Thank you for clearing that up Dave, good to have a mystery solved.

Hugh, thats fantastic information you found for him. Thank you so much for that. Yes please I'd love a photo of the grave if one of your friends has one. It can be emailed to me.
cheers
Leisa