Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
young man killed late teens or early 20s

anyone know of a story about a young man in the name of Green so stories of his death are
1 he got the sole of his shoe caught in the tram track and tram hit and killed him
2 something fell off a dray and killed him

story goes that his dog walked all the way to the cemetery under the hearse

many thanks

Instant Messenger: dog walks with hearse to cemetery

Re: young man killed late teens or early 20s

What dates are we searching for? Was it in the Sheffield area?

Hi susan

I believe it was Sheffield area and somewhere around 1910 sorry I have no other info

Many Thanks for your interest

Hi Joan,

Is this the one you are looking for:

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 17 February 1927.
Heroic Self Sacrifice.
Mr James Henry Green (36) of 28ct 3hse Pond Street, saved the lives of
two children at the cost of his own life. On Wednesday February 9th he
saved two children who were in the way of a lorry which was beginning to
run away in Harmer Lane. He was crushed between the lorry and a gatepost.
At the same time his Mother-in-Law who was in hospital at the same time died.
The service was at St Paul's and interment at Intake Cemetery.

The article is quite long so I have just sent the main details.

Moira.

Hi Moira
Thankyou so much for your reply but although the story is very similar to the family story I have been told I don't think it is the same family. Although we don't know the Christian name of our Green it wasn't James as our James Green lived well into the 1960's.

Many Thanks Once Again

Joan we need some more clues.
Do you know who his parents were? Do you know how he was related to you?
Dave

A nine year old lad called Harry Green of 7 Carlisle Street was kicked by a cart horse outside the Wicker Goods Station in February 1912. He died later in the Childrens Hospital in the Wicker. His parents were Harry (a boot maker) and Amey, siblings Austin, Leah, William, Ada, Arthur, Douglas. I can send more details if this looks promising?

Hi Again
parents are Charles and Sarah they lived at 2ct 3 shude Hill Sheffield but can't be certain if that is the address when the incident occurred
siblings are Charles 1879 Emily 1883 James 1887 Alice 1889 Rosa 1892 George 1896

Sorry don't know anymore than that
Many Thanks

Hi Joan et al,

There is a death REGISTERED on the GRO for a George Green for 1923 March qtr, Sheffield age 27 (ergo Birth abt 1896). If this was a late registration and he died in Dec qtr 1922 age 27 his birth would be 1895, which is I think, the birth year for your George..??.

On the 1911 census for the Sheffield Park District, George is recorded as being 15 years old..?? depending on which part of the June qtr.(1895) he was born, it is possible he was already 16 (the census was taken 2nd April) and someone will correct me if I am wrong, some census ages were recorded as age next birthday which would have been 17. (not sure if this applies to 1911).

Of note, there is also another death recorded for a George Harry Green in Mar qtr, 1912, Ecclesall Bierlow, age 18 but his mother's maiden name was Poole not Boys.

This may help our sleuths with any newspaper reports.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Joan, the siblings you named all check out on GRO index with mother maiden name Boyes or Boys. (Emily is a slight correction She was registered Q3 1884 MMN Bayes). They had 2 other children. Harry in 1882 and Fred in 1897, but both died soon after birth. So there seems to be no other sibling who could match the story.
Dave

In June 1913 Eleanor Collins of No 1 Flat, Valley Road, a separated woman and known drinker, was found unconscious with head injuries in Baker's Hill. She died at Royal Hospital.

James Green of 2 court 3 house Shude Hill was a witness at the inquest: "he saw deceased and a man standing on the footpath above the steps in Baker's Hill about half-past ten on the Sunday night. They appeared to be quarrelling. They were both under the influence of drink, and the man was pushing the woman about." An open verdict was given.

Quite a lot going on in the Green family's lives if there was a death in the family as well. A coincidence or a story that has been mixed up over the years?

Joan, the cause of death for George Green (who died age 27 in 1923) will be on his death certificate. You can buy that on line from GRO in pdf format for £7. Delivery, by email, is within a week.
Dave
PS, Nice one Ted

Thank you Ted and everyone this is all so interesting

joan