Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1939 Register Oissions

My parents and grandparents lived in Brandon Street, Pitsmoor in 1939 but there is no reference to them or the address in the 939 Register. |Neither is nearby Clayton Terrace or other local rows mentioned.
Does anyone know if significant sections of the register were missing or that simply the streets were not covered.

Re: 1939 Register Oissions

There are huge swathes of entries in that area where the records are blacked out as "This record is officially closed". Probably this is an error - I would get in touch with Find My Past to ask for them to investigate/rectify.

Could it not have been indexed as Pitsmoor Road?

What names are you looking for?

Could have been classed as Shirecliffe?

There also seems to be a gap in the Pitsmoor Road addresses - I can't find any odd numbers between 261 and 467, which is roughly from opposite Christ Church to Pinfold Lane, the next street to the north of Brandon Street

Hugh

Re: 1939 Register Omissions

The occupants of 5, Brandon Street were James and Doris May Nugent and Annie Walker.
A search with and without DOB resulted in no hits, Neither did an address search on Brandon Street, Clayton Terrace (nearby).

Re: 1939 Register Omissions

The most likely reason a lot of the 1939 register is redacted is because those people are potentially still alive.

There are issues with the transcribing and indexing processes that FMP (and probably Ancestry too) use. I have reported numerous problems where the information can be found by scrolling through the documents but it cannot be found via a search. Lets hope that the problems are less so with the 1921 census especially as access is on a pay-per-view basis! I have never had any feedback to say that any of the issues I have raised have been addressed.

There are a couple of major bugs too, one of them in the Ancestry smart filtering process means that data sets are excluded from the search when they should not be. Have reported this three times...

Hi Darryl,
You may find this link informative to answering your question

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/

Hope the link works
HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Darryl

Having had a quick trawl through the individual records there seems to be a number of pages around the Pitsmoor Road, Shirley Road, Strutt Road, Cookswood Road area which have most of the page redacted. So there could quite well be Brandon Street, completely redacted on one of those pages.

Denise

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have contacted FMP and although helpful, they seem as clueless as I am. I suspect that the enumeration district book (Transcript Book)for Brandon Street area is one of the missing ones. The whole area from Pitsmoor Club to the Toll Bar seems to have little or no entries. Odd, since my father James was in a reserve occupation (steel) and was also a member of the local ARP. He was certainly living on Brandon Street at the time.
Looks like I'll have to add it to my growing list of brickwalls.