Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Samuel Brown & Sarah Ann Harrop - Banns & Burial Info request please

G'day

Samuel Brown married Sarah Ann Harrop (Daughter of John Harrop a builder who's operations were located on the corner of West Street) likely in the Parish Church - Cathedral 22 March 1855.

I'm on Ancestry only and can find no Banns document or other indicator of Samuel's parents beyond what I have on the Census. Looking at some other trees (which of course could be wrong or sacre bleu I could be wrong) they have different mum to me. Hence my search for details of marriage.

I could not find anything on your parish records either, using wild card search.

I can't find a burial record for Sarah either and that in part due the commonality of Sarah Brown...

Any assistance or look ups would be wonderful thank you.

I live in Western Australia so I wont be looking up anything in Sheffield any time soon.

cheers
Leisa

Re: Samuel Brown & Sarah Ann Harrop - Banns & Burial Info request please

Hi Leisa,

The marriage record says that Samuels father was Henry Brown, a joiners tool manufacturer.
Samuel was 25 years old at the time of the marriage, which was by license not by banns.
Hope this helps

Heths

Heather, yes that does help and makes a huge difference. Is there a Mums name on there at all please?

assuming that Samuel was born in Sheffield there is a baptism for a Samuel Brown born Jul 1829 with a father HENRY a brace bit manufacturer and a mother called Mary could that be yours?

Hi Leisa, Samuel Brown was born 18 July 1829 Christened 30 August 1829 at Scotland and South and Bow Streets Methodist New Church,Sheffield. Henry Brown married Mary Wells at Sheffield Cathedral church on 19 September 1828. On the 1841 Census they were both 35 years old with sons Samuel,Thomas 2, Henry 6 and William 8.

According to Free BMD a Sarah A Brown age 81 died in Ecclesall Bierlow in q2 1917.
Dave

General Cemetery, Sheffield

Grave JJ145

Samuel Brown died 1st March 1904 buried 3rd March aged 74 of 36 Conduit Road Retired

Sarah A Brown died 23rd June 1917 buried 27th June aged 81 of 22 Harwell St Widow

Henry Brown died 9th March 1874 buried 12th March aged 68 of 168 Rockingham St Manufacturer

Mary Brown died 25th July 1883 buried 27th July aged 77 of 108 Rockingham St Widow.

Hope this helps