Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Birth parents of Harry Squires

I am trying to find the names of Harry Squires born April 1889
He was adopted by John Strutt and Emma Strutt in Sheffield
I do know that Emma Strutt had a sister called Mary Yellott who married a Squires
I tried Sheffield council for a birth certificate but they didn't have one
Does anyone know how to help please?
Kind regards
Ian Hodgson

Re: Birth parents of Harry Squires

Hi

I can't find a baptism but the following birth registration is on FMP. Looking at the mother's maiden name, it seems likely that this Harry was illegitimate and it would, therefore, have been likely he was given up for adoption.

First name(s) Harry Aspland
Last name Squires
Birth quarter 3
Birth year 1889
Mother's maiden name Squires
District Ecclesall Bierlow
County Yorkshire
Country England
Volume 9C
Page 328

I'm afraid you'll have to send off for the certificate to confirm mother's full name and father's name is unlikely to be on the certificate.

Carol

Could Aspland be a nod to the father!!

Carol

What is FMP where you got some info for me?

Kind regards

Ian

Hi

FMP is the web site Find My Past.

Carol

Dear Carol

I have ordered a birth certificate for the Harry you have mentioned. So hopefully something might show up on the certificate.

When you have searched FMP does it state Harry`s mothers surname on the certificate? Have you got a link to it ?

Kind regards

Ian Hodgson

Ian David Hodgson
I am trying to find the names of Harry Squires born April 1889
He was adopted by John Strutt and Emma Strutt in Sheffield
I do know that Emma Strutt had a sister called Mary Yellott who married a Squires
I tried Sheffield council for a birth certificate but they didn\'t have one
Does anyone know how to help please?
Kind regards
Ian Hodgson
Ian, I refer to your comment about Emma Strutt (nee Yellott) having a sister Mary who married a a Squires. That has to be more than just coincidence.

Mary Yellott married George Squires in Sheffield Q1 1869. Their first born was Tryphena Q1 1870 in Sheffield. Using GRO index you can identify a further 13 children all born in Newark, Notts, the last in 1892.
Tryphena married a William Hall in Southwell, Notts in 1891 just before the census. They had at least 3 children and she died in Newark in 1904 age 33.
Tryphena would have been 19 when Harry Aspland Squires was born in Sheffield in 1889. She had a younger sister Elizabeth, but she would have been just short of her 16th birthday when Harry was born.
Food for thought
Dave