Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sydney Baldwin

I am researching my great uncle Sydney Baldwin, who was born in Wortley in Q3 of 1916. I have found two marriages one in Wortley in 1942 to Muriel O Jones and the second in Sheffield in 1958 to Vera Winder. Unfortunately, I cannot find a death for Muriel O Jones. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: Sydney Baldwin

what year did sydney die? could it be that Sydney's first marriage ended in divorce?

Just to muddy the waters a bit, I think that there were two people called Sydney Baldwin, born close together in time but on different sides of the city.

There's one Sydney Baldwin who shows up in the 1939 register in Wortley rural district (24 Oldfield Terrace, single, working as a "Kiln Burner hollow refractories disposal works Sheffield"). He was born 30 June 1916.

The other was born 4 February 1915, and baptised at the Bethel Chapel in Intake.

So one of them married Vera Winder? Maybe she was the Vera Baldwin ob. 1965 in Sheffield Volume 2D Page 228? That's a pure guess though.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

I think it is the Sydney who worked in the Steel industry that I an after, as that is where my Grandfather worked as foreman, so was able to recommend his brothers for jobs when they became available.

Cathie,

Sydney from Intake, born 4 February 1915 had parents Hannah and John. He'd be the Sydney Baldwin born 4/2/1915 who died in Q2 1992 in Sheffield? Birth registered in the Chesterfield district Q1 1915 Volume 7B Page 1645.m Mother's maiden name Homer.

He was living at 27 Norwood Crescent, Killamarsh in 1939 and working as a colliery hewer. His brother William and sister Winifreda were there as well.

Sydney from Wortley born 30 June 1916 had mother's maiden name Harrison registered Q3 1916 volume 9C page 653.

I think that MAYBE the Mabel O Jones who married Sydney Baldwin in Wortley Q1 1942 shows up in the 1939 register as Olwen Jones, which was changed to Baldwin and then maybe Beardon, and her first name was rewritten in green as Mabel Olwen.

In 1939 Olwen / Mabel Olwen was a shorthand typist living at 23 Wisewood Road, Sheffield with a Mr & Mrs Cook. She was born 3 October 1922. She died in Sheffield Q1 1988 (Vol 3 Page 1349).

She married Bernard G "Beardow" in 1957 according to FMP. Could point to John S being right about a divorce if she'd reverted to the Jones surname?

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi Cathie,
Just to add to Andrew's info.
You will find Mabel Olwen Jones/Baldwin/Beardow
in the GRO death registrations as BEARDON, death is in Sheffield during March qtr. 1988 born 1922.(3rd Oct).

In 1939 Olwen Jones is living with her mother ETHEL WOMERSLEY (now COOK) and her hubby Henry Cook at 23 Wisewood Road. Ethel and Henry married in 1930 June qtr. at Wortley Reg. District.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi All, Thank you for all the information. It is definately the Sydney Jackson, born in Wortley n Q3 1916 that I researching. From the little I have heard from family members he was the black sheep of the family.

Hi Cathie et al,
There is a death registration for a Sydney Baldwin for April/1965 age 48 which is a good match for 2016 birth. and has been suggested earlier Vera Baldwin possible died the same year and her death was registered in the Sept. qtr age 48

Hi Wendy There is also a death for Vera Winder in Gran Canaria, Spain in 1969.

Hi Cathie et al.
I think Vera Winder was born Vera Hill and first married Reginald S. Winder 11th May 1944 Rotherham District.

Reason: Vera Hill shows up as single on the 1939 census with her family: Parents- Edward Percy Hill & Athelda Hill (nee Dobson) Brother-Arthur Rowland Hill.
Vera Hill has a line through her surname and Winder written over it with a marriage date as shown above.
Vera's birth date shows up as 24th August 1919 and she is working as a Railway Clerk(Shorthand Typist/Switchboard).
The Hill family address was Tanycraig, Old Wortley Road,Rotherham District.
Ref: Ancestry website.

Both Ancestry and Family Search websites link a death for Vera B: 24th Aug/1919 to a Vera Winder died 1st August 2002 age 83 in Rotherham District, Derbyshire County..??
I have no idea if or why she died as Winder and not Baldwin.

If Vera Hill had been married twice surely both names would be on the 1939 register ie Winder and Baldwin so I am wondering if this family is not correct regarding the tree we are looking for. Think we need to go back to the beginning and search for Sydney again and perhaps obtain his marriage certificate to Vera.

Hi John et al, It definately is the Sydney Baldwin, born in Wortley and with Harrison as his mothers maiden name, that I am researching. it may be that I send for the marriage certificates for Muriel Olwen Jones and start from there.

Hi Cathie,
Just a 'heads up', if you do send off for any marriage certificates, both Sydney Baldwin and Bernard George Beardow married MABEL O. JONES not Muriel, according to the registration records, also if we have the correct spouse, her birth was also registered as Mabel. O. Jones.