Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sheffield Newspapers 1940 to 1948

On FMP newspapers there appear to be no newspaper articles available for the years 1940 to 1948 specifically in Sheffield. Are these records no longer extant or are they just missing on FMP?
Can anyone help please?
Dave

Re: Sheffield Newspapers 1940 to 1948

I have used British Newspapers Archive (same as data on FMP) & the data for many areas I have researched stops for all of them about 1940. Not sure why but it may be that the relevant local archives won't release them

John, thanks.Fmp has Shefield newspapers up to and including 1959.
Thre is a big gap between 1940 and 1948.
Are those newspapers lost forever or can they be found somewhere?
Dave

I emailed FMP on Saturday to ask why Sheffield newspapers are missing for the years 1940-48. I'll let you know if I get a response.
Carol

Carol, thanks. I look forward to that. One extra piece of info I now have is that the Sheffield Telegraph from the 19th century to 1965 are on microfiche at Sheffield University library. However they do not have 1939 to 1941 inclusive.
Dave

Hi Dave

Just received a reply to my email from FMP. I don't think it really answers the question.

Karen (Findmypast )
Jul 19, 2021, 12:07 PM GMT+1
Dear Carol,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We get our papers from our sister site The British Newspaper Archive.

Whilst we do endeavor to bring you a large run of newspapers publications, a year may be missing from a particular newspaper for one of two reasons.

If you are looking for a newspaper for which we have copies from the 1800s but not the 1900s, it's likely that we are still in the process of getting permission from the publisher to put the more modern material online.

If there are a few years missing in a long run of a specific newspaper, it sometimes means that we've found an issue with some of the pages and have more work to do before we can publish those years.

We currently only publish complete years of newspapers, so if any pages are missing or not of good enough quality, we will hold back the publication of that year until we can correct it (if we can).

We could hold back the entire newspaper, but we feel that it is better to provide whatever years are ready for publication as soon as we can.

I hope this helps to clarify this for you, please do get back in touch if I can offer any further assistance.
Regards
Karen
Findmypast

Carol

The Sheffield Local Studies Library at Surrey Street has copies of the Sheffield newspapers often all the way up to date. See the 2 links below for full details. Unfortunately they seem to be mainly on film, and not indexed, so unless you are looking for a particular date it can be a gruelling process, and just browsing as you can do with online indexed records is not possible.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/collections/Major%20Newspapers%20Available%20at%20Sheffield%20Local%20Studies%20Library.pdf

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/collections/A%20Short%20Guide%20to%20Sheffield%27s%20Newspapers.pdf