Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Suicide at Spear & Jackson

In reply to my earlier note on William Tom Adsetts, Dave T has asked for more information on my reference to the suicide at Spear & Jackson when a man was decapitated by one of the cutting machines. It was described to me by Ellis Goodhead who worked in the rolling mill when my Uncle George Adsetts was in charge; it must have been between 1925 and 1935 but I was not given the name of the man who died. Does this help?
Norman Adsetts

Re: Suicide at Spear & Jackson

Norman, Ellis Goodhead is an uncommon name, and his baptism, and schooling can be found over to the left here in Baptism and School Records. His marriage and death can be found on FREE BmD.
He was born in March 1911 and left school in March 1925. He married in 1941 and died apparently childless in 1975
If the horrific event occurred it cannot have failed to make the Sheffield Newspapers, which are available to search online, and in the 1925 to 1935 period there are over 1000 articles naming Spear and Jackson. The search engine is somewhat quirky but I have tried every trick and cannot find anything remotely resembling the incident you describe.
Could it be an apocryphal story, possibly told to Ellis as a naive 14 yr old as he started work in the rolling mill in 1925?
We have experts on the Newspaper Archive, and I hope they can prove my theory wrong
Dave

Re: Suicide at Spear & Jackson

Norman, I need to qualify my earlier reply. The newspaper archive I was searching contains no Sheffield Newspapers for the period 1940 to 1948. Therefore if your reported horrific suicide occurred in tha period (rather than 1925 to 1935as you indicated) I would not have found it.
Dave