Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
census 1921

Hi,
Does anyone know when will access to the 1921 census be online?

Re: census 1921

Hi Sarah, I assume you know it will only be available on Find My Past. It was planned for January 2022 but I heard last year that it may be slightly delayed until around March. You will just need to wait until FMP announce its available. Don't be surprised if its quite expensive either !
Regards John

john
Hi Sarah, I assume you know it will only be available on Find My Past. It was planned for January 2022 but I heard last year that it may be slightly delayed until around March. You will just need to wait until FMP announce its available. Don't be surprised if its quite expensive either !
Regards John
Heard FMP is going back to pay for view so will need to pay for it.

Lois Hopkins
john
Hi Sarah, I assume you know it will only be available on Find My Past. It was planned for January 2022 but I heard last year that it may be slightly delayed until around March. You will just need to wait until FMP announce its available. Don\'t be surprised if its quite expensive either !
Regards John
Heard FMP is going back to pay for view so will need to pay for it.
Pay per view?
So even if I subscribe I will still have to pay to see?

The latest info announced by FMP is that COVID has delayed the publication of the 1921 census. It will now be "early 2022".
"The pricing structure will be announced nearer the time"
Separately, nothing to do with the census, FMP has announced that in July 2022 it will replace the current pay-as-you-go credits system with a micropayments system which will make it clearer up front to non-subscribers what each record view will cost.
Dave

Dave correct me if I am wrong but they have also scrapped the differen packages etc you can subscribe too ie "World" subscription will not exist any more. Dont forget at first the 1939 register was pay per view but that soon changed nd added to a subscription package so I have a feel the 1921 censu will be the same.

I can remember the software boffins created a means to view the 1911 census data without paying. It was widely shared on Family History sites and the free access was finally discovered and closed down. Luckily I had gleaned most of the information I required by that point.

Looking forward to filling all my remaining gaps with the 1921 census even if I have to pay-per-view reluctantly.

Regards

I have just heard the 1921 census will be released on 6th Jan 2022.

£2.50 to view each transcript
£3.50 to view each original page

£6 per view if you have to view both!

10% discount if you have a Pro membership

Just one word comes to my mind... extortionate!

agree its extortioante but wasnt the 1911 census like this at first until they added it to a subscription package I presume though that searching the 1921 census index will be free anyone who has FMP the details are all over the home page.

Hi John
I don't know about previous census releases. I am assuming that searching the indexes will be free... how else are they going to entice people in?

Hi

Yes searching the index will be free.

Denise

Still think it would be nice if viewing the transcript was free for those who have been loyal over the yaers to FMP ut yes £3 to view the image I think would be fair.

Jo Knowles

Jo, as long as it will be pay to view separately for the transcription and for the original record I would never view the transcription, only the original. The original will always be completely correct. The transcription is likely to be a bit less than complete and can easily contain errors made by the transcriber.
Look on the bright side: a large numbery of people will be looking at just parents and 2 sets of grandparents. Just 3 records. All that much-awaited info for only £10.50
And the price will reduce after the initial rush, probably less than a year.
Dave

Dave T
Jo Knowles

Jo, as long as it will be pay to view separately for the transcription and for the original record I would never view the transcription, only the original. The original will always be completely correct. The transcription is likely to be a bit less than complete and can easily contain errors made by the transcriber.
Look on the bright side: a large numbery of people will be looking at just parents and 2 sets of grandparents. Just 3 records. All that much-awaited info for only £10.50
And the price will reduce after the initial rush, probably less than a year.
Dave
Hi Dave

Yes, I agree with you that the original is in most cases the only one that I need to consider but I still feel that £3.50 a view is excessive.

I already pay a yearly subscription and have done for a number of years, just like many others, so being offered a reasonable discount in recognition of my subscription (whether it be Standard or Pro) would certainly have been a sweetener. Instead if I want a discount I will have to upgrade to a 'Pro' membership and then discount is only 10%.

I have over 30 family trees on the go (I get a bit carried away lol) so £10.50 won't go far! :smile:

However, I have a lot of patience and supposedly all good things come to those who wait...

Regards Jo

Hi Dave

There are a range of different ways people view, appreciate and practice the hobby or interest in family history. Personally I have a strong desire to record the source information regarding any records found. From past experience, I suspect that the source information regarding the Class reference, Enumerators' Summary Books reference, Regisrtation District Number (RD) etc; will only be available by viewing the transcript.

Personally at the cost £2.50 a shot, I will wait until the cost of viewing the transcript is covered by a normal subscription, and complete the task retrospectively.

Best regards

Leipzig

Just been to Sheffield archives,the staff told me the records will be free to view on their computers since the council pay for the licence,for as long as that lasts. The computers have'nt worked for a couple of weeks though.

Regards

Terry

Thanks Terry, I will check at my local library...

1921 update

I have just been told by Sheffield Archives staff that FMP are not allowing licences to archives, libaries etc until nearer 2023. Cut and paste from FMP.Anyone will be able to view the digital images of the 1921 Census of England and Wales for free on the premises at The National Archives at Kew upon release on 6 January 2022 (00:01 GMT). The original paper census returns will not be available in the reading rooms. The paper records will be kept secure by The National Archives at their offsite storage facility and readers at The National Archives at Kew will be directed to the digital version. This is to ensure the preservation of the paper records for years to come. Searching the 1921 Census will be free on Findmypast but viewing any images or transcriptions will be on a pay-per-view basis using Findmypast micropayments.

In addition, the 1921 Census will be free to view via Findmypast at the Manchester Central Library, on St Peter’s Square, Manchester, supported by the Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society helpdesk and the Archives+ Team, and at the National Library of Wales, in Aberystwyth.

What about access in other libraries?
The 1921 Census will not be immediately available within any subscription, including via libraries. It will only be available via pay-per-view access for the initial period. Library patrons will still be able to purchase 1921 Census returns like any other user via a personal account. They will not be able to do this within library accounts. This is to ensure that credit card details cannot be shared or compromised when using public computers.