Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial /death age

Thomas cutts born 1829 or 1830.
Elizabeth cutts " 1831/1832
In Sheffield.
Marriage ,1851 Sheffield
I am having trouble with their death age so can not find where they are buried
You helped me with relations in Shiregreen cemetery and visited.And cemetery road.
Would like to visit Thomas and Elizabeth.
When I travel to Sheffield later this year.

Re: Burial /death age

Mary, there is an Elizabeth Cutts age 42 of Manor buried at Park St John 21.11 1873. There are no grave ids but also buried there are 3 Cutts children (George Henry, Richard Arliss and Arthur)all mmn Staniforth, which was your Elizabeths maiden name. It seems she died in childbirth and the baby (Arthur) died six months later

It looks like Thomas re married in 1880 to a Sarah, and he died in 1883 (free BMD) age 52 (but note he was 52 in 1881).

The disc I have for Park St John Burials does not have a Thomas Cutts. However, very suspiciously it also indicates that there were no burials there between 12 April 1881 and 17 Dec 1884, which makes me suspect the records are missing for that period.
Dave

Hi Mary,
If the following are your rellies the possible deaths of Thomas Cutts B:1829 and Elizabeth Cutts (nee Staniforth) B:1833..?? Bapt.Sept.1833. are both recorded on this site over to your left under burial records, giving relevant info.

Thomas appears to have died in 1883 (age 52) and is buried at INTAKE CEMETERY (see cemetery map on this site to locate the section).
Elizabeth D:Nov/1873 age 41 and is buried at St.John's Cemetery,Park, Sheffield. (no section, no grave #,no map)
St.John's Cemetery has a history and is no longer in use, all it's headstones are lined up on the perimeter of the grounds,the church is still in use as far as I can gather. So if Elizabeth had a headstone it would most likely be there.
Intake Cemetery is on Mansfield Rd, St.John's Cem is on St.John's Rd.
If you Google the article by Chris Hobbs about the desecration which happened in St.John's cemetery by a grave digger in 1865 you will learn a little more of the history.

There is also an extensive family tree on Family Search (maybe it is yours..??)
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thank you. Very much.
Mary smith

Hello Mary

I have photographed the headstones at St Johns Park, I have recorded just one headstone bearing the name CUTTS mentioning these folk.

CUTTS George 29 Jan 1843 "Rhodes St,Duke St" 30 (son of George and Lydia )

CUTTS Elizabeth 9 Mar 1858 16 Rhodes St 37 (wife of Charles)

CUTTS Lydia 9 Dec 1864 Rhode St 72 (wife of George)

You are welcome to a copy of the photo if you think they are "yours"

Regards Tony

I have just seen your message about headstones. None of those names ring a bell. I have only gone back to great grandparents.
My Elizabeth died in 1883 and buried in st.John church.
Maybe they are before my research. Picking up to go further back later
Thank you for everything you all have done.
I have a relation buried in Gateshead. When I got in touch with them they wanted thirty six pounds to tell me. So Sheffield should be congratulated.

Dave,

"The disc I have for Park St John Burials does not have a Thomas Cutts. However, very suspiciously it also indicates that there were no burials there between 12 April 1881 and 17 Dec 1884, which makes me suspect the records are missing for that period. "

I was curious about this gap and did some digging (not literally)

In the original register the burials of June 18th 1881 and 17 Dec 1884 are in consecutive entries so the hiatus in burials is real.

The closure of the cemetery in June 1881 is not surprising. The grave owners had managed to prolong the active use of the cemetery for some years despite earlier closure orders and the last extension, granted by the Home Secretary in early 1881, was to 30 June.

An important factor in this process was the opening of City Road Cemetery on May 25th.

The reasons for closure are clear but I can't find any reference in the newspapers to the resumption of burials in December 1884. Burials in the churchyard were far fewer after that than they had been before the closure, in single digits per year from 1886.

I would guess that these post 1881 burials were all in existing family vaults. (Burials had also continued in St Philip's Churchyard after its official closure, on the same basis.)

The re-opening might have been the result of particular lobbying by the Vicar James Merryweather. He was related to Gertrude Ruth Crossland who was the person buried in December 1884.

Hugh

Hugh, thank you for that clarification
Dave