Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Orphanage

Hello could anyone help or advise me where to find the whereabouts of my grandma Elsie Richardson she was an orphan at the age of 10 in 1919.She lived in the Park area she did however have a step father surname Phillips she had a younger brother called Patrick Richardson thankyou for reading my post

Re: Orphanage

The 1921 census is due out next year and may solve your problem. She may have been taken in with other family members.
Lyn

Hi Janet,

In the 1911 census there’s an Elsie Richardson born 1909 living with parents Frederick and Lily.
If you look at the City Rd burials on this site, there’s one for a Frederick Richardson who died in 1914 and there’s a Lily Phillips buried in the same plot as him. Marriage 1917 Lily Richardson and Henry G. Phillips. Is this the right family? I can’t find the younger brother Patrick Richardson...

Heths

Hello yes this is the right family... I’m trying to find out what happened to Elsie when her mother died I’m almost sure her brother was called Patrick but he was a bit of a wild one so I’m told Elsie didn’t know what happened to him when they grew up thanks for your time

Hello thanks for your reply I look forward to viewing the 1922 census..... I’ve been on with this for quite a while 😂

Janet, the only younger sibling registered for Elsie Richardson (mmn Bland)
is Henry G Phillips mmn Bland born 1917 Sheffield. He was Elsie's half brother.
The other people in the grave that Heather found are very informative. It looks like Lily Richardson nee Bland married her next door neighbour Henry G Phillips in 1917about 3 years after her husband Frederick died.
Dave

Looking at the Richardson children with MMN Bland, there was a brother Frederick Emmanuel Richardson born 1906 who might be the “wild character” you mention.
In July 1928 he was sent for trial on a series of charges, stealing and receiving children’s coats.
In October 1928 he was sentenced to a week in prison to be followed by borstal for burgling a jeweller.
December 1929 - in court for throwing a cellar grate at a waiter.

Heths

Hi Dave et al,
Another scenario could be: the Lily Richardson who married Henry G. Phillips in 1917 may be the love child daughter of Frederick Richardson and Lily Bland who married in 1902 Sept.qtr. Sheffield.
Lily Bland (love child) was born 1901 June qtr.Sheffield, no mmn ref: GRO
I think it is quite likely she was raised as Richardson and married as such. (my own mother was in a similar situation).

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Oh dear it was true then I can vaguely remember him giving my older brother a camera then a few weeks later asking for it back !! Thank you for your time very interesting 👍

Very interesting thank you for your time 👍

Thank you for the information I didn’t know about the half brother 👍

Hi I hope you don’t mind me asking but I think there was a murder committed by a Joseph bland relative of Fredrick Richardson... the crime happened in Abney in Derbyshire so not a sheffield resident.... could you shed any light please regards Janet

Hi Janet et al,
Just wanted to set the record straight and ask that my scenario comments should be ignored.
As so graciously pointed out to me by an SI team member: the young Lily born 1901 died in 1918 as Lily Richardson and is found in the same grave as her mother, who later was known as Lily Phillips.
Sorry for the trip down the wrong avenue.
HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

That’s ok don’t worry about it I’m glad of the information... all the best