Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1977 Burial Frances Mary Deverell Hay & Arthur Hay 1959

I'm trying to follow up on a burial or cremation record of Frances Mary Deverell Hay (nee Beechey), Sheffield District in Jun qtr 1977 and also her husband in early 1959

She is a sister of the Beechey brothers, a Lincolnshire family who lost five sons in WWI, Arthur being my great uncle.

Frances married Arthur Hay in Plumstead, Notts in 1916, Arthur died in Wolverhampton in Feb 1959 though his probate record notes his address as 37 Greystones Grange Road, Sheffield (not sure if that's a wrong street name or a typo with a house name and number). Probate granted to Frances Mary Deverell Hay, widow.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: 1977 Burial Frances Mary Deverell Hay & Arthur Hay 1959

Glen,

Greystones Grange Road is a real road - out near Endcliffe Park somewhere.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Arthur & Frances Hay were living at that address in 1939.
There was also Dennis, born 1920 and 1 redacted entry.

Anne

Dennis passed away in 2005, he married in the 1950's and had two children though I've never had any luck trying to trace them.

The redacted entry is probably a daughter born in 1923 who married twice, the second marriage was overseas. I believe she contributed to, or helped edit a book about the history of one of the hospitals (one of the husbands was a surgeon or doctor from what I've been told).

A book written about the Beechey brothers has a photo of the family, including Frances pre WWI and she is mentioned a few times in the book itself. There are a number of entries for the family on various genealogy sites but details of the sisters and surviving brothers are always thin on the ground, many exclude dates of death or note deaths in assumed places. Arthur is generally omitted from the entries altogether though I've managed to flesh out the lives of his siblings and ancestors fairly well and on a couple of lines back to the 1600's.