Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Has anyone got an ancestor with no record of birth?

Hi,

I am completely stumped. I have a name and year of birth from a marriage certificate, but can find no record of this lady's birth on Ancestry at home or abroad. I looked abroad as her father was a Rev.in the 1950's when she was born.

Any advice welcomed.

Thank you.

Amanda

Re: Has anyone got an ancestor with no record of birth?

Amanda,
This seems to be very recent. Are you asking questions about someone who is still alive?
Dave

Hi Amanda
A couple of possibilities spring to mind.
1. Mistranscription in the GRO index or in FreeBMD. I've seen plenty of instances of this.
2. Adoption or illegitimacy, so registered at birth with a different last name. I have an ancestor born as James Summerford but he was brought up as Charles James Summerford Hull by his aunt (mother's sister) and uncle. It took me years to sort that one out as I was looking in the indexes for last name of Hull/Hall/Hill.

Hope this helps
Maureen

Hi Amanda
Here's possibility 3. The lady lied about her age on her marriage certificate (probably subtracted a few years from her age - especially if her groom was much younger). I have an ancestor who took about 12 years off her age.

Maureen

Hi Maureen

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. Oddly I can find no birth record on Ancestry for her deceased father. Rev Paul Edward Lawrie. I found on Ancestry that he died at the age of 99 in Sheffield in 2011. There is nothing for him on the burial index, but with it being a relatively recent death I expected this would be the case.

Kind regards

Ananda

Free BMD has a marriage in 1951 Sheffield for Paul E Lawrie to Joan Dabbs. It indicates that Paul was alternatively known as LADEVIC. The marriage details are available on FMP.
Dave

Another possible explanation for lack of birth registration would be if the child was adopted.
Dave

Oops, sorry, Maureen already said that.
Edit function seems to be out of action
Dave

Hi

Follwing on from Daves marriage find;

Paul Edward Lawrie, father Fritz LADEWIG LAWRIE

1939 Register- Paul E LADEWIG, Born 23 Dec 1912 (on Ancestry)- Foreign Correspondent in export firm. 114 Broadhurst Gardens, Hampstead

Male Enemy Alien - exemption from internment - Refugee Card - Oct 1939 for Paul ERWIN LADEWIG, Born 23 Dec 1912 in Berlin - Nationality German
Foreign Correspondent, 114 Broadhurst Gardens, Hampstead (on Ancestry).

Could this be him??

Denise

Hi Amanda

Really intersting article on Pauls family as German Jew refugees

http://www.gramenz.net/publications/ladewig_documentation_of_a_jewish_family_clan_from_mecklenburg?sLang=en.

Denise