Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
unable to trace on census until 1881 born in 1846

Sarah Ann Higgitt
1846–1921
BIRTH JULY 1846 • Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding, United Kingdom
DEATH MAR 1921 • Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding, England

I have her marrying in Sheffield in 1866 a Tom/Thomas Heppenstall, I have her on the following census records.

I have her father as an Edward Higget/Hogget. However I cannot find any other records..

Any help appreciated

Re: unable to trace on census until 1881 born in 1846

Sarah Ann,

Probably more questions than answers here, but I found a something in the 1861 census on MyHeritage (can’t find it in FMP for some reason):

Sarah Higitt, 14, Warehouse girl, living at 11 Ellison St., sister of the head of the household. Head was Thomas Frith, 26, glass cutter, born Sheffield, his wife was Mary, 25, born Sheffield. (MyHeritage thinks Thomas Frith was called Thomas Smith).

Was Sarah Ann called Sarah Frith in the 1851 census? Living with her mum Harriett at 6 Sussex St, plus siblings James, Thomas, and Hannah, and a lodger William Bramhall (relation of Harriett?).

Confusing because Edward Higgett married Harriet Frith in Rotherham Minster in 1845, Harriet was the daughter of Thomas Bramall.

Also reported in the Sheffield Independent - Saturday 12 July 1845 - “On Sunday, at Rotherham, Mr. Edward Higgett, gardener, to Mrs. Harriet Frith”.

Sarah Ann Higgot birth registered in Sheffield Q3 1846 vol 22 p599, mother’s maiden name Brammall.

With Higgot and Bramall being spelled in multiple ways - and confusing transcriptions - and maybe Sarah Ann’s Mum changing her mind about which surname to use it’s going to be difficult for you to pin this one down.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

If you look in our Parish Records over to the left you will find the marriage of Harriet Brammall to James Frith in 1830 and the subsequent baptisms of 4 of their children
Dave

For the 1861 census FMP has indexed Sarah's name as HIGELL (the 't's aren't crossed)
They have also indexed FRITH as 'TRASH'!

Hugh

In 1871 they are still at 11 Ellison St.
The surnames are FIRTH and HEPPLESTONE
Son John was EPPINGSTONE in his 1869 baptism at St Philip's (on this site)

Hugh

Thanks everyone for your help and input.