Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frederick William Rhodes b 1882

Frederick William Rhodes born in Sheffield area in March 1882 so of Wilfred Wilson Rhodes and Emma Fish Hardwick.

In 1909 he married Mary Floerence Brown but then my continuation for him goes cold.

If anyone could give me any clues to his death, not sure if he enlisted in the army or not, or if he sailed overseas it would be appreciated.

Regards

John

Re: Frederick William Rhodes b 1882

Hi John

just found the couple on 1911 census at 168 Brunswick Road. He was a spring knife cutler. If you want a copy let me know

Jenny

will keep looking elsewhere.

Thank you Jenny. I shall try the 1939 register but I have a feeling he will not be on but you never know.

Looks as though he enlisted and was a prisoner of war. I can send the docs if you require them.

Jenny

Hi

I’ve found some information on Mary Florence but, thus far, I’ve been unable to find Frederick William after 1909.

Mary appears in the 1939 Register and is living in the home of Hola E Crookes at 88 Nottingham Street, Pitsmoor; it looks like she’s a live in housekeeper.

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Hola E Crookes 30 Oct 1857 Female Retired Private Means Widowed 49 1
Mary F Rhodes 01 Oct 1881 Female Paid Domestic Duties Married 49 2

She says she is married but no sign of Frederick.

Mary died in 1955, her burial is on this site. Frederick isn’t buried with her but Eric (son of Frederick) is buried with her. As Eric wasn't born until 1921, if Frederick did join up he must have survived.

Carol

Jenny thank you was his info on FMP? Carol Thanks for the info on Mary that is interesting so where then was Frederick in 1939 and why can't I find a death unless of course it is registered different due to the spelling.

Hi John

yes I found the info on FMP. Drop me an email if you want the documents.

Jenny

Hi John,

He was still listed as being at 168 Brunswick Rd in Kelly’s 1923 Directory.
There are also 2 Rhodes births registered in Sheffield with MMN Hardwick - the last one being in 1927.

Heths

Hi again

Frederick appears in 6 family trees on Ancestry and, it would appear, as none show his year of death that it's not only you who is unable to find it.

Carol

Thank you all so the plot thickens then. I wonder if he was up to no good and therefore changed his name and did a vanishing act.

A Frederick W Rhodes died Q1 Stoke 1960 age 76. Might be him
Dave

A Frederick William Rhodes died in 1951 aged 70 in the Leeds General Infirmary and left 12000 pounds. The executers were the Yorkshire Penny bank so could he have split from his wife etc or do you think that is not my man.