Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Howson

Just looking on the BDM for Joyce Howson, parents lived at 24 Barrack Lane in 1939, Joyce was born in 1921 and lived at 7 Loxley Road, don't know when they moved to Barrack Lane. Her younger sister June Howson is on, her baptism is in 1939 but can't find anything for Joyce. Can anyone shed anymore info on this please?
Thanks
Mick

Re: Howson

It looks like Joyce was born in 1920, before her parents' marriage:

BAMFORTH, Joyce (of 7 Loxley Rd, born 0000-07-11).
Baptised July 28, 1920, by T Japing at St John the Baptist Church, Owlerton.
Parents name(s) are Doris & ~ (~).

Hugh

Thanks Hugh,
They were married on the 17th September 1921,Doris Bamforth 23 living at 7 Loxley Road and William Henry Howson aged 30, Residence at the time of marriage 24 Barrack Lane,He was a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery and apparently left the army not long after they got married

She was at the Barrack Lane address in 1939 but is listed as Joyce Mahon.
It says she was still single though, so I’m not sure where the Mahon bit comes from.

Heths

Hi Heths,
Thank you for that, Joyce was married then to a Jimmy Mahon???, I was told they lived on Ecclesall Road, where abouts I don't know. I know the marriage didn't last or how long it lasted for

Thanks
Mick

As she was registered as Joyce Bamforth this could mean that William Howson is not her biological father.

Susan Winter
As she was registered as Joyce Bamforth this could mean that William Howson is not her biological father.
If Doris was living at her parents when Joyce was born and William Howson in 1920 was in Iraq when the uprising started there, he might not have known Doris was pregnant or when children are born they have their mums surname until registered. All the family say William was definitely Joyce's dad

Hi Mick, there’s a marriage Q2 1940 Sheffield for Joyce Howson and James G. McMahon.

Heths

Hi Mick

I've sent you an email

Carol

Hi Carol
Thank you for that information. We were always told Joyce was born in July 1921 and she died in May 2005. She told me a few stories about her life and her parents William and Doris. The information I've got and what she used to tell me, she was born in 1921 and lived at 7 Loxley Road Sheffield, at some point she moved to 24 Barrack Lane which was William Howson parents. During WW2 the house got a direct hit and they moved to Binfield Road.

Thanks
Mick

The name MAHON in the 1939 register is an *addition* to the original entry. That entry originally had dots (ie 'ditto') like her siblings. There is some writing in the margin, obscured by a repair, which may relate to her marriage.

Her date of birth in the Register is in 1920.

Does Indexers still have access to the original Owlerton baptismal registers so that the date can be checked?

Hugh

Hi Mick/Hugh,

Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the original register for that time period.

What I have covers 1858 to 1888. Dates to 1967 we transcribed in 2018.

Looking at the Baptism entry I read it like this.

Date of Baptisms 28th July 1920 for Joyce Bamforth. mmn Bamforth address 7 Loxley Rd.
From our Transcription DOB 11th July 0000. From that the year was obviously missing or unreadable. I would say it should be 1920.

The GRO index reads Joyce H Bamford mmn Bamforth Sheffield 9c 1135.
Sep qtr 1920.

From the above information I would say 1921 is out of the question. If you Order the Birth certificate in a PDF format from the Gro I believe its seven pounds. That should answer your question.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine / Hugh,
Thank you for the information. I've ordered a copy of Joyce's birth certificate, hopefully that will solve the mystery of her date of birth.
Thanks
Mick

Mick
Hi Elaine / Hugh,
Thank you for the information. I've ordered a copy of Joyce's birth certificate, hopefully that will solve the mystery of her date of birth.
Thanks
Mick
Finally got a copy of Joyce's birth certificate...

When and where born - 11/07/1920 7 Loxley Road
Name if any - Joyce Howson
Sex - Girl
Name and surname of father -
Name, surname and maidan surname of mother - Doris Bamforth
Occupation of father -
Signature, description and residence of informant- Doris Bamforth, Mother, 7 Loxley Road Sheffield
When registered - 13/07/1920

I know Joyce's father William Henry Howson was still in the army at that time in Iraq when the uprising started. He married Doris in 1921 and came out of the army not long after

Mick
Mick
Hi Elaine / Hugh,
Thank you for the information. I\'ve ordered a copy of Joyce\'s birth certificate, hopefully that will solve the mystery of her date of birth.
Thanks
Mick
Finally got a copy of Joyce's birth certificate...

When and where born - 11/07/1920 7 Loxley Road
Name if any - Joyce Howson
Sex - Girl
Name and surname of father -
Name, surname and maidan surname of mother - Doris Bamforth
Occupation of father -
Signature, description and residence of informant- Doris Bamforth, Mother, 7 Loxley Road Sheffield
When registered - 13/07/1920

I know Joyce's father William Henry Howson was still in the army at that time in Iraq when the uprising started. He married Doris in 1921 and came out of the army not long after
So Joyce was born on Sunday 11th July 1920,
Wednesday 28th July 1920 she was baptised Joyce Bamforth and when her birth was finally registered in August on Friday 13th, 16 days later after her christening, her surname changes to Howson