Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sheffield Council Site.

Is there a problem with the Sheffield Council Site.

libplugins.sheffield.gov.uk

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Re: Sheffield Council Site.

I looks like the search facility has gone Elaine, wasn't much good anyway. You order on another page not searchable.

Terry

Re: Sheffield Council Site. (BMD's)

Hi Terry and Friends.

I must admit I used it quite often when I had a problem. Angela and her friends from S&DFHS were the transcribers and had jumped through loops to transcribe it.

That and FreeBMD have been my main sites for years.

I still prefer Ancestry to FindMyPast but seeing that Sheffield Archives had given FMP the rights to their material thats why I switched.

The Gro material still needs us to correct glaring errors when we find them.

Just my two cents worth.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

What do you think are the advantages of Ancestry? - I find it VERY frustrating for searches compared to FMP; seems to be either all or nothing, & some records that I *know* are on there just refuse to come up-! But maybe it's me, as I'm now so used to FMP (Free access during lockdown!)- I'm interested if /why people have a preference & why.

btw, does anyone know why a lot of death records would have 'Died at Broomhill'; did there used to be a free hospital there?

Our burial records show 139 instances of "DIED AT Broomhill". They are spread over the years 1841 to 1923 so that is fewer than 2 per year on average. Not excessive.
Dave

Thanks - I know the family lived in the centre of town and were poor, usually if there's a place of death it's their address or the Union hospital; 'at Broomhill' seemed random. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Sara, If you google "Broomhil Sheffield Residential Homes" you will find that there are a number of residential/Care homes in the Broomhill area so this may account for the deaths you *******
Regards Barry Green

Thank you :relaxed: