Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Herbert Walter Brooks

Hello , I am trying to find a record of a death of Herbert Walter Brooks who married Vera Jessie Bailey in 3rd Quarter 1905 I think he died prior to 1930
They lived at 83 Bolsover Road Sheffied. Many thanks, Jim Houston

Re: Herbert Walter Brooks

Its strange that although they married in 1905 - on the 1911 census Vera is living with her parents 83 Bolsover Road still using the name Bailey.

In the burials over to the left here, there’s one at Burngreave in 1909 for a Herbert Brookes.
Is that him?

Heths

in the 1911 census Herbert was living in Middlesborough: Herbert Walter Brooks "Lodger" crossed out and "Head" added by the enumerator, Married, Cashier, banking, worker, born in Lower Norwood, living in two rooms in some kind of apartment at, I think, Alnwick House, The Avenue, Linthorpe, Middlesborough.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

I hadn't noticed that on the 1911 census but I do know that when her daughter Vera Gladys married in 1917 she signed the wedding certificate as a witness as Vera Jessie Brooks

On the 1939 Register she is listed as Vera Jessie Brooks at 234 Knowle Rd Birmingham and and the same name is used when she passed away on the 21st September 1935 in Birmingham.

If she died 1935 she wouldnt be on the 1939 register

Sorry yes that's right she wasn't on 39 register it was on a 1930 electoral roll.

Was Herbert ever on an electoral register at
83 Bolsover Rd Sheffield between 1905 and 1930 please.Jim

Do we have any other info on Herbert. Perhaps the 1905 marriage certificate would help.
There is one living Chapeltown at the yourkshire bank in 1910

Hi James et al,
Family Search website links Herbert Walter Brooks to a record for a Herbert W. Brooks who died 1955 age 77 (B:1878 est) at West Hartlepool, Durham....?? Sorry no further details.

I think we can assume he was still alive in 1913 as there was a record of him joining the Freemasons United Grand Lodge, Marwood Lodge at Redcar, on Nov/4th, 1913. Details: Bank Cashier residing at Linthorpe, Middlesbrough, age 36.
ref:Ancestry.
I find it puzzling that on the 1911 census for Herbert he states he is married and the 1911 census for Veragh Jessie Bailey(Brooks)(nee Deane) she states she is a widow. He says, she says.....???

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

on the 1911 census she is said to be Bailey and a widow. Before her marriage to Brooks she was Bailey and a widow. We should not assume that SHE made that 1911 statement. It was presumably said by one of her parents. It does look as though they separated but they were still legally married so Walter,s declaration is correct. Perhaps her father just wrote out Walter, reverting her to her status before the marriage to Walter.
Clearly Veragh's later declaration on daughter marriage, and her status at death, make it clear that she did not conceal the existence of her marriage to Walter.
Take away that strange statement, possibly not by her, on the 1911 census, and everything falls into place.
Dave

Jim,and Wendy before 1936 divorce was both very difficult and very expensive. However, in the early 1900s it was possible to obtain a legal separation at very little cost and in a local court. This allowed the couple to be financially independent of the marriage BUT
They could not re marry. In this case there were no children to complicate the issue
I wonder if this is what happened with Walter and Veragh, and perhaps Veragh's father thought it was equivalent to a divorce when he filled out the 1911 census.
Dave

Thanks everyone from all information so far,I was wondering from what has been found out is if Herbert ,Vera Jessie and Vera Gladys were at another address between 1905 and 1911 or are they all still together at 83 Bolsover Rd.