Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Harry Fairest 1939

The 1939 has Harry Fairest 1877 at 30 Beeley Road Worrall with Kenneth Fairest plus 2 others and 1 closed. Could anyone assist with full details of open individuals. Thank you.

Re: Harry Fairest 1939

David

Harry M 31 Mar 77 W Gas stoker steel works

and the two other open records:

Kenneth Fairest Male 12 Jan 15 Single Asst. charge hand rolling mill

Ethel Fairest / SHELDON / FEARN Female 23 Jan 12 Single Unpaid domestic duties

For Ethel, Sheldon is written above Fairest in blue then scored out in green with Fearn written in the left margin.

There's some enigmatic annotations in the left margin by Ethel: 26.1.46 IC KSY M in blue and 26.11.74 CR283 SHE in green.

Incidentally, have you seen the article in the Telegraph where Harry (of Woodland View, Beeley Road, Oughtibridge) did what he could to help Georgina May (24/8 Allen St.)?

He saw her fall backwards off a wall she was sitting on, ran there and found that she had nasty injuries to her spine, so he got an ambulance and she was taken away to the Royal Infirmary. (“FATAL FALL FROM A WALL” -Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Saturday 17 September 1927).

Cheers,

Andrew P.

The names above Ethel could be her married name she looks to have married twice.

Many thanks will follow it up.

KSY is the 1939 code for Wortley Rural District in the same way that KIA is the code for Sheffield (which can be puzzling when first encountered)

Hugh

Hugh

Brilliant! I had wondered about KIA and I'd only heard of "Killed In Action" so it's useful to know that KIA means Sheffield.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Yes it seems she married a George Sheldon 1946, but cannot find a link for Fearn as yet.

There’s a death Q3 1990 Sheffield for an Ethel Fearn with dob 23/01/1912.

Heths

Hi Heather

That is Ethel's birth date so must be a Fearn marriage record to find.

I've had a good look around for a marriage, found nothing as yet. Perhaps she just took his name. The death certificate may throw up something.

On 1939 RegisterIC stands for Identity Card

CR283 is a form for change of name or birthdate. The SHE should be the 3 letter code for the place where the name change happened. From the official list of place-name codes there is none in England and Wales beginning with S.
I wonder if the SHE is a place in Scotland, which would also explain why we cannot find the marriage in England and Wales.
Dave

Theres a date of 26.11.74 could that be the marriage date.

I can now confirm that SHE is definitely the area code for a place in Scotland. ALL codes beginning S were in Scotland So the Fearn marriage was in Scotland, and as Sue pointed out, most probably 26.11 1974
Dave

It seems freebmd gives the marriage to George Sheldon as Dec Q 1945 and not 1946 as per the 39 register margin record?

The 1946 date is linked to IC so is probably the date of issue of the new ID card.
Dave

Ethel married George Sheldon in 1945 do we know when George died? I have been tryig to see if I can find anything on the Scotland site but as yet know luck.

I think I am having a senior moment what was the name of Ethel's second husband or could there even be a third marriage involved?

Apparently there is a 1974 Dundee marriage for an Ian Fearn on Scotland People but to a Sheila Davidson, so not a lot of help with that one.