Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St Philips Shalesmoor Marriage 1960 - Mavis Hudson and George Frank Woodhead

I found the marriage entry for Mavis Hudson and George Frank Woodhead which is documented as taking place at St Philips, Shalesmoor in 1960. I understand that St Philips, Shalesmoor was demolished in 1941 so the marriage probably didn't take place at St Philips. Looking further I see that St Philips may have merged with St Annes and there is a note in the entry along this line. The question is where would they have married?

Re: St Philips Shalesmoor Marriage 1960 - Mavis Hudson and George Frank Woodhead

St Philip's was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1828, partly from Sheffield St Peter & Paul, and partly from Ecclesall, All Saints. The church, consecrated 2 July 1828, was located near the junction of Penistone Road and Infirmary Road. It closed in August 1940 when St Philip's was united with St Anne's. The church was demolished in 1951. In 1964, the United Benifice of St Stephen, St Philip and St Anne was formed.
Sheffield, St Philip, Anglican Parish
Description:
Registers:

Baptisms, 1828 - 1969
Marriages, 1848 - 1962
Burials, 1829 - 1977
Banns, 1924 - 1956
Services, 1902 - 1957

I would think they actually married at St Annes, Netherthorpe

Re: St Philips Shalesmoor Marriage 1960 - Mavis Hudson and George Frank Woodhead

Hi Chris,

Where did you find the entry you are interested in?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Susan, thank you so much for your reply. I had guessed that they may have married at St Annes but wasn't sure. I may have to try and get the actual marriage record to confirm.

Hi Elaine,

I found the marriage entries on this site. The link to the page is http://sheffieldindexers.com/ParishMarriageIndex.html where you can search for the entries.

Regards

Thanks I have now found it.

In the notes it does say: Notes: St Philip & St Anne.

So Back it the 1960's it was still being called that as we would have copied from the register.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype