Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burials Index: what are the numbers?

Hi, what does 'remarks' followed by 2 sets of numbers refer to? - it's the one at the top of the page on this link:

http://sheffieldindexers.com/BurialRecordsSearch.php?cemetery=&area=&cem_area=&gsletter=&gsnumber=&forename=myra&surname=&place_death=¤t_page=2

Baptism Crossing Out

Also - meant to include this with the 1st message - does anyone know why a Parish Baptism register would have some names (deliberately) crossed out? - I found 2 in an 1828 book, both together but different families, they're the last 2 on the page but the next page is blank and I can't find them re-instated anywhere; maybe there was another book, but I wondered if it was a common thing - Were the details written in advance and somehow the Baptisms didn't happen, or were they 'cancelled' as some of the facts were later found to be inaccurate?

Re: Burials Index: what are the numbers?

Hello Sara

The numbers in the remarks column of a burial are usually burial book entry numbers of previous burials in that particular plot ( Your link wouldn't open the database )

As for baptism entries being struck out, I can only guess that the information was pre-written before the baptism (as is the case before weddings) and then the register was misplaced before the baptism and the information had to be written temporarily elsewhere (hence the blank pages when the register was found, leaving space for the omitted entries to be recorded,

In the past I have seen where there was an anomalies in a register the clergyman would write an explanation at the start (or end) of the register and then signed the note.

Thank you Tony :slightly_smiling_face: I wondered if the registers were pre-written; that'd make more sense.

I thought the numbers would be technical, but I was also half hoping they might unlock more info! Whether it's the same Myra/Mary/Mariah/Mya that was in Derbyshire for 80yrs - my guess is it is and she was visiting when taken ill, some things just have to be left to speculation I guess!

Hello Sara

I couldn't open the burial link you posted but if you can post the details I could perhaps take a look at it to see if I could offer any more info.

Tony

Thanks, it's this one: http://sheffieldindexers.com/BurialRecordsSearch.php?cemetery=Burngreave&cem_area=General&gsletter=S&gsnumber=2&forename=&surname=¤t_page=1%22

*Sorry, ignore that last reply, the posts got mixed up & I commented on the wrong one :grimacing:

This is the correct link http://sheffieldindexers.com/BurialRecordsSearch.php?cemetery=&area=&gsletter=&gsnumber=&forename=myra&surname=SWIFT&place_death=¤t_page=1

SWIFT, Myra (Widow, age 82).
Died at 50 Petre St; Buried on March 15, 1883 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 88, Section P2 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: 10575 10068

Hello Sara

I don't have access to the Burngreave cemetery burial books but I would wager that the two numbers on Myras entry are the two HAGUE burials that took place before her burial.

I wonder if anyone would be able to find who lived at 50 Petre street in 1881, I found there was a family by the name of FARMER living there in 1891 but I don't think they were there in 1881.

FreeBMD agrees with the Sheffield burial and family-search points to Myra being in Ripley Derbys as a widowed mother in 1881 so I would hope to see a family connection at Petre St.

Cheers Tony

The burials on this site shows that the first number was assigned to the the second Hague burial.
Dave

1881 census 50 Petre Street William Moor 47 AND WIFE Mary Ann 49
BAPtism on this site April 9 1884 Walter Taylor of 50 petre St. parents Sarah Ann and Joseph
Dave

It looks like Tony was right
The Walter Taylor baptism from 50 Petre Street in July 1884 had parents Sarah Ann and Joseph. Joseph Taylor married Sarah Ann SWIFT in 1892 and Walter had MMN Swift.
Dave

Nice work Dave.

In this obsession of a hobby we have, You can Surmise, Imagine, and guess all you want but nothing is more gratifying than cold hard facts.

Tony :mask: