Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
History of Shiregreen, Ecclesfield, Longley, Woolley Wood, Sheffield Lane Top, Parsons Cross

I'm looking for History of events, people , geography, current affairs for these areas of Sheffield. I grew up in this area and am writing an account of my mother's life.

I went to St Patricks School until 1959 I had 2 brothers, Roger and John.

My mother's name was Kathleen Key, nee Leonard. She worked at The Northern General. She died in 2014.

My grandparents lived near to the Asda on Parsons Cross.

I have one cousin. on my father's side who lives in the area.

Many thanks,

Lindi Green

Re: History of Shiregreen, Ecclesfield, Longley, Woolley Wood, Sheffield Lane Top, Parsons Cross

Hi Lindi,

Just to start the ball rolling here.

We can probably get you started with your family tree with no problem but the actual history of the area you would probably be better contacing Sheffield Archives.

First are you aware of FreeBMD? Its a website were all the births marriages & deaths are recorded for the General Registry Office country wide.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

I have found the following for your mother is this the correct person.

Death: KEY, KATHLEEN... DOB 1924
GRO Reference: DOR Q3/2013 in SHEFFIELD (048-1D) Entry Number 509111994

Marriage. Dec qtr 1943 Sheffield 9c 1044
Kathleen Leonard to ....Key.

Let us know if this is her and if you need further help.

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Re: History of Shiregreen, Ecclesfield, Longley, Woolley Wood, Sheffield Lane Top, Parsons Cross

Lindi,
May I suggest you take an on line subscription to British Newspapers or Find My Past. Then you can search for all those places in Sheffield newspapers in any time periods you choose. Browsing the many thousands of answers will give you a broad picture and allow you to specify any key events.
Dave

There's a book on Amazon with previews of many of the pages - have a look, it may be worth buying a copy.n want to buy a copy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecclesfield-Chapletown-High-Green-Photographs-ebook/dp/B00LJ5GQ30/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ecclesfield&qid=1614852761&sr=8-1&asin=B00LJ5GQ30&revisionId=&format=2&depth=1