Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William Harrison born 1852

Hi I am looking for the correct death date of William Harrison born 1852 in Bradfield. He is on the 1881 census with his wife Mary and their two daughters, Martha, my great grandmother and her sister Emma. If he died in 1885, which is the date I got, then 3, possibly 4 of the other children Mary had and were given the surname Harrison were not his.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Re: William Harrison born 1852

Hi Cathie, There is a death for Willam Harrison 1885 Wortley born 1852, there is also a probate for him on Find my past which i cannot access. Martha 1877, Emma 1879, Ernest 1881, Joseph 1884 all born Wortley with mothers maiden name Ibbotson. There is only Selina Spooner Harrison 1887 Wortley mothers maiden name Ibbotson that is outside the 1885 date. Now depending on Williams death date and Selinas birth is it possible Mary was pregnant at the time of Williams death? Or was she a product of a Mr. Spooner? regards Barry

There are also on GRO index
John William Harrison 1895 and Ellen Spooner Harrison both Wortley and both mmn Ibbotson
SELINAvSpooner was born2 years after William died so definitely ot his.

May I suggest you find marriages for those 3 later children and see who they declared as father. Selina was married in 1907.
Dave

cathie
The birth certs for the 3 extra children would be interesting. In principle there will be no father declared. They will be available as pdf.
Dave

Hi All, Barry could well be right. On the 1901 census, there is Mary age 44, John William Baldwin, Grandson, Ernest Harrison 19, Joseph age 16, Selina age 14, John age 6, Ellen age 5 and finally Thomas Spooner age 54, who is described as a boarder. He is still living with Mary in 1911 and there is John, now age 16 and a granddaugter Doriss age 5.At some point, it will be interesting to get the birth certificates, to see what Mary put for father.