Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joseph Wildsmith's Will, 1804 - From "Cases in Chancery" -

Hello,

I'm sure many people researching the Wildsmith line will have come across this interesting case, recording details of the Will of Joseph Wildsmith - Carpet Manufacturer of Sheffield - who died in 1804 (if you haven't, a quick google will give you the details - recorded as "Eyre v Marsden 1838".

However, details of this Joseph seem very thin on the ground. Lots of trees on the internet have him born in Staveley, Derbyshire, in 1727 to father Joseph and mother Barbara Saxton. But unless I've missed it, no-one seems to have any firm evidence to show that the Joseph who really was born in Staveley in 1727 was the same chap who later died in Sheffield in 1804.

Personally, I don't think it was the same person, for reasons that I won't go into here (unless anyone is interested enough to ask!) - but what I'm really posting for is to ask if anyone has access to Sheffield newspapers of the time - such as the Sheffield Iris? I'm hopeful that there might have been an article or obituary from about the time of Joseph's death, in 1804, which might give a bit more information about his life. In particular, how old he was when he died. At least that will tell us whether the Staveley Joseph is a possibility or not.

I know that the Iris was in publication around this time, and I think copies may be available at Sheffield University Library - and/or possibly the Sheffield Archives. Some issues of the Iris are online, on both Find My Past and the British Newspaper Archive - but only issues from the 1830s onwards.

I won't ramble any more at present, but I'd be interested to hear back from others researching this line - and obviously interested to hear from anyone who can access those local newspapers.

David

Re: Joseph Wildsmith's Will, 1804 - From "Cases in Chancery" -

I've just found a burial for a Joseph Wildsmith in St Peter's Churchyard. It says he was buried on 11th November 1814 (not 1804 ??) aged 56 Address written as Sheff B'side, B'low Bridghouses and he was described as a carpet manufacturer.

Not sure if it's the right person but too many coincidences.

Jenny

Just found another burial on FMP for a Joseph Wildsmith on 22nd Oct 1804 at St Peter's Church
a carpet manufacturer but there was no age unfortunately.

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your interest - and your replies. The second burial you refer to (1804) is the one I'm trying to get more details on - and frustratingly keep on failing!

The first Joseph Wildsmith's burial that you refer to - the one in 1814 - is the older Joseph's son. This is made clear in the "Chancery" report I referred to. I'm reasonably certain that this younger Joseph married Mary Parsonson at Laughton En Le Morthen in 1779 - but as with other strands of this family, I could be wrong!

As I said in my initial post, I'm hopeful that some contemporary newspaper report may provide the missing information - particularly the older Joseph's age at death.

I do know, from "The Economic Development of Sheffield and the Growth of the Town cl740-cl820" - found on the internet, that this older Joseph Wildsmith was described in the Sheffield Iris of 16th Aug 1804 as being "advanced in years and declining business" - but I'm hopeful of putting a bit more meat on these bones!

Thanks again,
David

David,

I've only got the same newspaper access as you, and I'm not any kind of researcher, but did you see the adverts in the Leeds Intelligencer relating to Joseph Wildsmith's business?

Monday 17 and Monday 24 October 1803 (page 3 and page 2 respectively) he was trying to sell or let out his business and premises etc. because he was getting a bit long in the tooth and wanting to slow down. It said he'd been in business upward of 40 years.

Then on Monday 25 February 1805 in the same paper (page 2) everything was being auctioned off from the Carpet Works of the late Mr. Wildsmith in Coulston Croft.

Of course the transcription says "Wildfmith".

cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

No, I hadn't seen these reports, so many thanks - they are very interesting.

Did you track them down on the British Newspaper Archive website? I ask because I only have access to FMP - and I thought that it had the same newspapers as the BNA - but I can't track down the actual entries you refer to. Perhaps there is a difference to the content of those 2 sites after all.

I might see if I can access the BNA on a "pay per view" basis.

Thanks again,
David

David,

I knew - or was pretty certain - that you'd be able to find them which is why I put the dates and stuff.

You must be right about the BNA and FMP newspapers being the same thing behind the scenes.

All I did was search for Wildfmith (guessing that the automated transcription would have messed up and put an "f" instead of an "s") then zoom in on the period 1800-1809 without putting any other restriction. That only comes up with 9

The adverts are good because they list all of the machinery and equipment at the works. There was an additional one that I didn't notice. I blame my reading glasses.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hello David,

The 1804 Iris isn't available online. But some information from the papers may assist:
One of the 5 grandchildren was William Benjamin Wildsmith born 1819, House Painter and Paper Hanger of 116 West street in 1841. In his adverts he states that he is lately from London, but his grandfather is Joseph Wildsmith of Change Alley. His father (ie one of the 3 children of Joseph) is also named Joseph and he was a silver plater. W.B.Wildsmith married a relation in 1841 - Elizabeth Jane Wildsmith, daughter of Benjam Wildsmith, another silver plater.

One of the three children of Joseph was Elizabeth (born 1854 maybe Doncaster) - she maried Thomas Eyre of Middlesexon 12 Sept 1774 and Yorkshire Gazette for 19 April 1834 states that on 9th April Elizabeth, relict of T.Eyre Esq died at her house in Gillygate, York, and that she was the daughter of Mr Joseph Wildsmith of Sheffield. She would be the Mrs Eyre in the court case.

Hi Ted,

Many thanks. The various leads you have suggested look really interesting. I'll check them out, and report back here in due course. All these little things are really helpful in filling out the overall picture.

Thanks again,

Regards,
David