Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
no birth record

I have tried every avenue to locate Henry Robert Thompson born 1860 ish in Sheffield possibly Attercliffe. I have his marriage certificate when he was in Aldershot as a corporal in Scottish rifles his father is given as Richard an engine fitter. His army sign up papers give next of kin as mother Emma or is it Anna living in Attercliffe, He signed up when he was younger than the legal age and gave his previous occupation as sailor. My only route to tracing him and as such his predecessors is a Henry Thompson age 11 in the East Parade Charity school and that he was sent to a naval training ship on the Clyde which would explain him signing on for the army around his 17th year and at Paisley in Scotland. Help is all I can say as every route I follow leads to lost records or in case of his birth record, no record, and as such a reliable record of his parents. Any help gratefully received.

Re: no birth record

Hi Tim, dont forget that compulsory registration by parents only came in following 1874 Registration Act. Its estimated at least 15 % of births were note registered up to that date. If he isn't on GRO & Freebmd suggest you check baptism records.
Best of luck, John