Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Houses on Petre Street

My grandparents and Mum lived on Petre Street from 1913 to 1929, and subsquently moved to Canada St, then Carwood Rd. Does anyone know roughly when these houses were built? Would they have had electric light and/or sewage? Or anything else of interest.

Re: Houses on Petre Street

www.picturesheffield.com is a good place to look for photos.

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=petre+street&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%25petre%25%3BAND%3Ball%3BCONTAINS%3B%25street%25%3B

There were munition huts also on Petre street to house munition workers. My mum lived on Tyler St munition huts and thought it a step up from their previous back to back house on Newhall Rd. Most housing at that time had outside toilets too.
Perhaps posting on the www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk may reach people who know more about the area.
Lyn

My family lived at 40 Jamaica st from 1915 - 1932 then 311 Petre Street until they were demolished around 1975. I am fairly sure they had electric light & sewage although they did have outside toilets.

Thanks, I will post it on the other forum and see what I can find out.

My mam’s family lived at 40, Canada Street. She was born there in 1927. Her mother went to live there around 1890. The family is on the 1891 census. I am sure I have seen 40, Canada Street on the 1881 census. From what family members have told me the houses in that area were not built all at once but piecemeal. I can also remember in the mid fifties they still had gas lighting and outside toilets.
David