Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FRANK GRAY

Hi
My father Frank Gray was born in 1906 and came via Osset to live in Sheffield(Darwin Rd in 1915 sheff 6)with his parents
I was told he was in the auxiliary fire brigade during the second world war but cant find any trace of him /anybody know of him or any ideas how i can follow this up
He also met my mother at Norton and am trying to track this down as well as she was helping to put up the barrage balloons (her name was Elizebeth Renwick from Scotland.again i would love to chase up any records of my mother on the Norton site

Re: FRANK GRAY

Colin
The 1939 Register has Frank W Gray living on Darwin Road but his wife is Violet A Gray.
Dave

Hi Colin,

Marriage registration Q1 1956 Sheffield, Frank W.Gray and Elizabeth Gray/Renwick.

There are four birth registration all under the names Gray, mmn Gray or Renwick.
Betty Q1 1944 Sheffield.
Kathleen Q3 1945 Sheffield.
Kenneth W. Q2 1952 Sheffield.
Colin Q1 1956 Sheffield.

It looks as though Frank had a previous marriage.

Have you any idea what year Elizabeth Renwick was born?

Moira.

Hi Colin,

There are photos of members of the Auxiliary Fire Service during that period on www.picturesheffield.com
Maybe you can spot Frank on one of them.
There is also a police and fire museum in Sheffield (National Emergency Services Museum)
They might perhaps have records of people who were in the auxiliary service, or be able to point you in the right direction.

Heths

Frank W Gray married Violet Annie Barber sheffield 1928. They were living at Darwin Road 1939 with several children. Their last child was born 1941.
Dave

Hi
My father did have a previous marriage in 1928 in Sheffield and had 7 children by that marriage most baptised at Wadsley but I noticed where in the second marriage which i am part of you missed out one of my older brothers frank (any Reason)
My mother was was Elizabeth Binnie Renwick born in Edinburgh 25/05/1915 but came I believe as a WAAF in Norton during the second World War sending up the barrage balloons hence they met but again would love to see if that was true
As can be seen my father forgot lol to marry my mother till after we were all born but lived on the top rd Overton Rd but is two mins from Darwin Rd
Hope this helps

Hi
Thanks for the advice

Cheers

Colin Gray
Hi
My father did have a previous marriage in 1928 in Sheffield and had 7 children by that marriage most baptised at Wadsley but I noticed where in the second marriage which i am part of you missed out one of my older brothers frank (any Reason)
My mother was was Elizabeth Binnie Renwick born in Edinburgh 25/05/1915 but came I believe as a WAAF in Norton during the second World War sending up the barrage balloons hence they met but again would love to see if that was true
As can be seen my father forgot lol to marry my mother till after we were all born but lived on the top rd Overton Rd but is two mins from Darwin Rd
Hope this helps
Colin
In answer to your question about older brother Frank I can only see that your fathers first marriage (to Violet Barber) produced their firstborn Frank A Gray in 1929 birth registered Wortley
There is no sign of a registration of a second Frank being born later to your mother.
Dave

It looks like the Frank Gray born Wortley 1929 mmn Barber died in the same year.
Dave

"He also met my mother at Norton and am trying to track this down as well as she was helping to put up the barrage balloons (her name was Elizebeth Renwick from Scotland.again i would love to chase up any records of my mother on the Norton site"

Colin are you aware of this:
" During the war a film documentary crew were filming many aspects of Sheffield and at some point they managed to film a barrage balloon crew letting up a balloon, with an all female crew.
The film is very long and has no sound but is very good indeed. The balloon crew are not in it until later, it is at Yorkshire Film Archives Film Sheffield at War No. 2881"

Can you please tell us the exact birthday of your older brother Frank?
Dave

Hi
Thanks for that unfortunately she was not in it but its good to see some old footage of Sheffield