Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sheffield Daily Telegraph article

Just found a link regarding Henry Swain of Burnt Hill Farm (2nd great grand uncle) Saturday 14 July 1866. Could anyone possibly assist in the full article.

Re: Sheffield Daily Telegraph article

David,

I just sent an email with some details.

Incidentally, he crops up in the press a few other times, maybe you saw those already?

The Sheffield Independent (Saturday 24 October 1857) says that Mr. Henry Swain, of Burnt Hill, won second prize for Swede Turnips at the Worral Agricultural Society annual cattle show and ploughing match. He'd won a prize for a calf a few days earlier (Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Tuesday 20 October 1857)

Sheffield Daily Telegraph (Tuesday 21 October 1862) has an advert for the sale of the Burnt Hill Farm, near Worrall in Ecclesfield, occupied by Mr. Henry Swain. The farm was a bit over 35 acres in size, near Oughtibridge and, according to the auctioneers, handy for the railway station.

The Sheffield Daily Telegraph (Monday 23 March 1863) has a death notice for Ann (41), wife of Mr. Henry Swain of Burnt Hall near Bradfield.

He sold off 14 acres of crops and a cow in 1866 (Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Saturday 14 July 1866)

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Thanks Andrew

May I ask for one more!! John Swaine (Henry's son) 14 Oct 1857. It relates to his wife Clara's debts. It seems Clara was living apart from John as a housekeeper to Thomas Hallows and then went to America with Thomas. Just wondering if it gives any info about John & Clara's marriage issues?

David,

I've sent an email. It's the classic type of notice which a husband could place before, I think, the Married Women’s Property Act 1870.

He refused to responsible for any debts contracted by Clara (technically in those days a woman could not enter into a contract or incur a debt without her husband's approval).

I wouldn't like to speculate why he thought it was necessary.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Once again many thanks. She seams to be an interesting story. She married John Swain 1855 then she was with Thomas Hallows as housekeeper in 1861/71, then she was in USA 1895 with Thomas but then re-married a John Bentley under the name Hallows in 1899.