Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unable to locate birth on register

Hi,
I have tried several variations of spelling and also year, but cannot locate
Jessie Waller born approx 1858 - thought to have been born Sheffield.
Parents Samuel Waller and mother Mary Renshaw (sometimes misspelled as Kenshaw)
Any help appreciated.

Re: Unable to locate birth on register

Are Jessie's parents the Samuel and Mary that married in 1845 in the Lincoln area?

Hi Sarah, I can't find her either.
Don't forget that it was only in 1874 that it became compulsory for parents to register births, consequently prior to that date an estimated 15% of all births went unrecorded. I have found quite a few people I have looked for were not recorded.
Best of luck, John

I wonder if Jessie might not been her true name ie it was just how she was known.

Interesting find on the GRO index. September quarter 1853 in Lincoln

Waller no first name mentioned mother's maiden name RENSHAW so could this be Jessie and at the time of registration they had not decided on a name. Perhaps the child was not going to live long and then when it was near the 42 days the thought they had better register it without a first name.. just a thought.

John

Thanks John, I think that may well be correct - :-)

Sarah
You need to look at all 10 children that Samuel and Mary had between 1846 and 1867. The evidence is in the 1851 and 1871 censuses and the GRO index.

6 of them are GRO registered by name (Isabella S 1846, William H 1847, James F 1849, Mary A 1855, Lucy J 1862 and Benjamin 1867). A seventh, the 1853 no first name MALE child is clearly Charles ( 17 in 1871 census).
Jessie was born around the time that 2 yr old Mary Ann died and Walter was born around the time that 1 yr old Lucy died. I suspect in the traumas the birth registrations were forgotten. John was born between Jessie and Mary Ann. He also is not registered.
Dave